Friday, September 10, 2010

The Cost


I had to look twice at the jogger who paced on the corner waiting for the traffic to flow so he could safely cross the street. There was definitely something different about him as he bobbed and moved.

That’s when I realized the man had no legs! His prosthetic devices began somewhere above the knee and continued down to his running shoes with long, preformed metal bars.

I watched him and immediately wondered about the effort of simply getting out of bed in the morning, or showering, or driving a car, or even bending over to hug a child. Simple things to those of us blessed with full use of our limbs, but no doubt a real challenge to that man.

I certainly didn’t pity him. Instead, I felt the weaker one. I found myself saying, “What is my excuse? I have everything in working order, so why can’t/don’t I accomplish what I’ve set out to do?”

The answer is simple: I have to want it badly enough! I have to want my dream and my goal enough to endure the pain. To make the sacrifice. To say ‘no’ to some things, and ‘yes’ to others.

I can’t imagine the obstacles that man must have faced and overcome in order to gain the strength, the courage and the endurance to run again.

I’ve thought about that day many times since then asking God to help me to see more than just the end result in people and situations, but to help me to appreciate the cost. Help me to see through imperfections of the outer shell, and through to a heart that now rests on the other side of hope.

“For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.” (1 Peter 1:18-21) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, as they say, great minds think alike. I just finished my blog post for tomorrow a few minutes ago and I think you'll find the echo of your own thoughts in my garden metaphor. Mine will post at 7:00 AM central tomorrow (Sunday). Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails