Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Living in Your "Real World"

'light ur candel' photo (c) 2008, ^@^ina - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

It’s still dark when I stumble downstairs rubbing sleepy eyes. I glance out the back window and yawn as slivers of light pierce through the shroud of 5:30am, and I know the baby chicks are safe inside their coop beneath the heat lamp. Still only weeks old, their whole little world takes place inside that box; a small, simple space where a light that’s meant to flow is barely visible through the cracks. Held and captured and serving its purpose only within the walls.

I turn to start the coffee, but I keep thinking of those who live in similar boxes; those whose light glows dim…a light that’s meant to flow, though remains barely visible through the cracks….serving its purpose only within the walls.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” (Matthew 5:14-15) NIV

~*~

'Don't Let Go.' photo (c) 2010, Sam Caplat - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

She smiles and rises from the pew standing a little easier now after her surgery. And after all these years, he still reaches for her hand when they sing the old hymns. They’ve weathered the storms together, prayed through the blessings and the burdens, determined to praise Him even through tears and heartbreak; through the lives they’ve touched, family members they’ve buried, decisions they’ve made – they’ve shared the love of God every step of the way. Together, they’ve lived in the light of the Lord serving Him, grateful and satisfied, far beyond all fears and limitations.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) NIV

~*~

'Baby A ' photo (c) 2008, Maria  Gomez - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

She rocks her baby at night in the dark, careful not to alert the “unfriendlies” who might be lurking in the shadows. It’s not easy being a new mom in the mission field, bringing the Word of God where it’s not allowed, but the Lord lights the way…and she hums in a mother’s voice only a baby could hear. Gently, quietly, he drifts off to sleep leaving her in the quiet and in the still…with the peace and reassurance of His presence….serving in the light of His will.

“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.” (Acts 20:24) NIV

Whatever the “Real World” is to you today, wherever you may find yourself, my prayer is that you live it for Him. Live to serve Him. Live in the light of Him...simply live!

8 comments:

  1. Debbie - this is so wonderfully written, so full of God and such a blessing! Thank you for this post. I'll be sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I needed a moment to gain perspective and reading this helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. **SMILING** Love it - and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Debbie. Wherever we are, serve as light to a dark world so that they may know they are loved. I'm thankful for this reminder today.
    Blessings,
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been the new mom on the mission field. your words, His heart.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a nice place to slip off my shoes and jump in.

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time here. So glad I found you! Thanks for your words and your heart!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Debbie, I always feel refreshed after reading your blogs. They make me smile and the added music & beauty allows me to escape for awhile. I have nominated you for the two blogs that are being presented. My link is: http://sherilswift.blogspot.com/2011/09/blogger-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie~This is really good! John 16:33 HE has overcome the world...I needed to hear that.
    Blessings, Chelle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails