Friday, October 21, 2011

Humble Beginnings

'Trumpet Vine' photo (c) 2010, norwichnuts - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I left work racing against the clock. So much to do and frustrated that the minutes seem to strap on their running shoes when my list is so full. Like a fresh horse straight out of the chute, I don my “Super-Mom” cape and head out.

  • Right away, a cell phone call from daughter.
  • Then off to the office supply store.
  • A quick stop in the sporting goods store.
  • Another phone call about an appointment for Monday.
  • Stop by and pick up a meal to bring to an elderly woman from our church. It was my assigned night and it was the least I could do. A quick thanks to God for providing hot soup, bread and fruit all under one roof.
  • Stop here.
  • Run in there.
  • Pick up daughter.
  • Drop off daughter.
  • Stop by the bank…

Stop by the bank - who knew a simple errand would stop me in the middle of my rush of things – slow my breathing to normal and shift my mind to more humble beginnings.

There, across the street from the bank parking lot, the same bank parking lot we’ve come in and out of for the past 23 years, stood our old apartment. I see it just about every week, but today, something clicked. The memories flip past like a slideshow and I breathe deep. I pass slowly by the meandering arbors smothered in masses of trumpet vine, their trunks gnarled and thick as they weave high above stone walkways.

I paused and stared pushing aside my to-do list for the moment just to absorb the feeling of true thankfulness.

'Rings' photo (c) 2007, Andrew Malone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

We’d moved into the simple structure, my husband and I, only 3 months after we were pronounced husband and wife. We’d packed up our dreams for the future into a U-Haul truck and drove 4 hours away to our new home; away from family and all things familiar, to begin our new life together. It was there that we began laying the groundwork for today. It was there that our first marital spats pierced the heart, and there that the fine art of giving and receiving took place. We truly pinched pennies back then learning the limits of each dollar and each other. It was just the beginning of our “for better or for worse,” there where God chose to really knit our hearts together with a forever kind of love. It was there that our son was born and our lives were changed forever.

I paused again to look to the arbors remembering the cool breeze of fall mornings as a new mom with my son safely tucked in the stroller as we walked beneath the trumpet vine. The cherished memory of the day when we ventured down the street to the little shop where I bought him a blue hat.

I pulled out onto the street taking one more glance and I realized how God ordained this moment, too. I thought of how He wants me to revisit the early days and to never forget where I’ve been in order to be completely thankful for where I am.

I love how He uses the simple, ordinary moments to speak the loudest and reach the deepest parts of me.

I drive away humbled and thankful praising God for our very simple start – may He never let me forget.

Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

(Deuteronomy 8:2-3) NIV

7 comments:

  1. We all need these moments suspended in time, Debbie, reminding us of God's faithfulness. Thanks for sharing one of yours with us. You paint such a vivid picture that I felt like I was right there with you!
    Blessings on your weekend!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie
    I enjoyed reading a bit of your past. Humble beginnings to get where w,e are today. Isn't God good?!
    Blessings to you today...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that about the Father! He delights in drawing us closer and will use the most mundane things to do it sometimes!

    I also LOVE the music from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice comment thanks for sharing loves from holland..God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie, Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and for leaving such kind and encouraging words. I pray God's blessing on your Christian Women's Voice magazine. What an awesome adventure!
    Grace and peace. . .
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved getting a glimpse of your past my friend :) beautifully written! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this post today. I can always relate in some way, as it reminds me of some of my own time of testing and history with God. Blessing to you today!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails