Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Mess We Leave Behind

'Maximus' photo (c) 2009, Matt Bateman - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

I couldn’t believe the mess! One big, fluffy dog ~ one tiny puddle of motor oil. I wish we’d known that he’d slept all night with his whole back end in the slight remnants of a recent oil change in the garage BEFORE letting him in the house this morning. It looked like a crime scene! The more he wagged his tail and jumped around, the more brown splatters freckled walls, cabinets, floor tile and rugs…everything from dog level on down!

There’s nothing quite like breaking out the mop and cleaning supplies at 6am! Ugghh!

Actually, it makes me think of how quickly our words of negativity and our bad attitudes can spread. It takes just the slightest murky “puddle” to fling around and make the biggest mess. Sometimes our lack of faith or less-than-holy behavior is bigger and takes on more presence in our lives than the One who can clean up the mess.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

(Ephesians 4:29) NIV

Lord Jesus,

Help me to consider my words and my actions before they’re spilled and splattered on the hearts of those I love. Amen!

I want to invite you all over to Robin’s Nest (http://robinsnest66.blogspot.com) tomorrow! She’s so sweet to have asked me to share a guest post at her blog, so I hope you’ll grab your cup of coffee and join me over at Robin’s. I’ll see you there!

'Mugs' photo (c) 2008, Alan Cleaver - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie - great post on words and how quickly they go negative. God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie, what a mess! But I love how you used that mess to illustrate the mess we can make with our words. I pray that I will follow the advice James gives and be slow to speak, quick to listen, and slow to become angry.

    Many blessings sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post my friend! It's so true how quickly things can get ugly when the source isn't put in check first - our mouth - which is, of course, overflowing with what is in our heart. It always goes back to what you let live and breathe in the heart. Create in me, oh Lord, a CLEAN heart!!

    Love you.

    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post. Labs are beautiful and loving dogs but they are a handful, we had two some years ago, and so true about the messes "we" make when we just go spewing our words out before thinking. Great reminder, especially when this time of year is hectic! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails