Tuesday, April 17, 2012

To Touch a Hummingbird

'Hummingbird' photo (c) 2008, Steve Alexander - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

He stood for the longest time there in the corner of the yard, intent and still in shorts and bare feet in the grass. There, in the corner of my eye but just out of focus and the sun, like warm honey on his hair.

I, with knees in the dirt digging, planting, and he content to wait out his mission with hand outstretched.

Baby sister asleep upstairs and afternoon shade a welcome relief.

Then, a whisper…excitement stifled, and I turn.

“Momma, look! Look!” he smiles, the words quiet from his lips.

My trowel drops and I turn. My boy with the patience I never had – patience to wait for the hummingbird. There, with his little boy finger caressing the tiny head and the hummingbird trusting him anyway.

I wonder who waited for who


Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.

Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm. For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the Lord will possess the land.

Psalm 37:7-9


Are you waiting upon the Lord today, or is He waiting for you?

6 comments:

  1. What a moment and this is absolutely beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely, lovely story, Debbie. Too bad you didn't have a camera, but I'm sure that snapshot will always joyfully remain in your mind's eye.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us all!

    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious and what a special moment! Just loved your story, thanks for sharing. It gave my heart a little hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I'm a hummingbird lover and I've read that this can happen but never believed it until now (thought it was just an old wives tale). How sweet! Thank you - that made my day.

    (first time visitor...but not sure how I stumbled on your blog!) : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails