Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Like the Chicken


'Chicken' photo (c) 2005, Peter Harrison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Gotta confess, I’m dragging my tail feathers around today, so to speak. I’m moving slow. I’m grumpy. I’m sleep deprived and coffee hasn’t helped.
Not only have I formed the nasty habit of waking up @ 4am for the past 3 weeks, but this morning at o’ five hundred, my chickens decided to announce LOUDLY that they’d all gathered together up in the coop for an early coffee and egg-laying ceremony! Now, I know why a group of chatty women are referred to as “the hen house”!
So, I struggled into my slippers wrapping my robe around me and sputtering a couple less-than-pretty words into the morning as I scrambled down the stairs and out the back door.
I could just imagine the complaints already; the loud rapping on my front door of disgruntled neighbors, those who sleep at night with the windows open, complaining about being rattled from a sound sleep so early on a summer morning.
I trudged through the wet grass in my oh-so-alluring sleeping attire, and after banging on the side of the coop and telling the ladies to keep it down, I stumbled back in the house… and had to smile.
The chickens…and their clucking.
It’s just what they do – it comes naturally to them!
When it comes to being quiet about Jesus, I want to be a little like
that chicken up there making some noise and rocking people
out of their comfy place – only less obnoxious (smiles).
'Sunshine' photo (c) 2011, Rachel Kramer - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I want my faith and my passion to serve Him to go before me and speak louder than my inhibitions. I want it to be a natural reaction – I want HIM to be a natural reaction, the first response to everything in my life.
All the good days. All the challenging ones, too. I give them to Him, and will boldly profess His name!
“Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the adversary” (Psalm 107:2) NASB

5 comments:

  1. Love it! My brother lives next door to us and has chickens and a rooster and let me tell you I get woke up early most every morning and wonder too about the other neighbors and what they must think!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen... "I want my faith and my passion to serve Him to go before me and speak louder than my inhibitions. I want it to be a natural reaction – I want HIM to be a natural reaction, the first response to everything in my life." Just like the chickens! I love this post Debbie, so insightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just picture someone out there pounding on a chicken house and it makes me wonder who is louder the one pounding or the hens?
    great little blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! I want to be like those hens, make a racket, and allow my faith to speak louder than my inhibitions (love that!).

    Sometimes I can be such a chicken (in the frightened sense), and I keep quiet. It depends who I'm around...I often do it out of fear of upsetting people, but sometimes I just send up a quick prayer, then go for it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Debbie! Chickens have always fascinated me. I used to collect randome chicken things and put them all on my enclosed porch, which I called the Chicken Coop.

    Blessings - Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails