Laundry doesn’t
fold itself.
What a
wonderful and hidden blessing
found in those quiet moments of smoothing out lines and wrinkles
of the day. It seems my deepest, heaviest thinking takes place over stacks of
fluffy bath towels, the jeans and dress shirts of my hard-working husband.
Even when I’m
feeling a bit unraveled, I can fold things into neat and tidy stacks and feel
some sense of accomplishment, though I’m still rushing to be and do all that
the day demands.
There was a
time when I couldn’t see beyond the tall piles of laundry. Couldn’t see beyond
the walls that enclosed my mind and my spirit. I couldn’t see past the
frustrated, depressed, “you’re-not-good-enough” mess that I was; beyond my
failed attempts or the unclean, untidy, undone and unfinished….into God’s
real plan.
I assumed my
plan was His plan, so I headed strong and fast into each new dream with wheels
spinning in the mud and going nowhere fast.
Back then, the
only voice I heard was my own. Sadly, all others were distant and less
important.
So faith comes
from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
(Romans 10:17) ESV
I push the
stack of towels aside and rummage around for the matching socks. I join them,
one with the other, and realize the simple reality; the lesson in the moment:
A dream
powered by our own will
will be an
uphill climb and reap little benefit
but a dream
powered by prayer and unwavering faith in God
will reap
blessings of God-sized proportions.
Who’s behind your
dreams today?
Who’s behind
your thoughts and your actions?
Who’s behind…you?
I’m so glad
laundry doesn’t fold itself.
Be blessed
today!
Debbie
Excellent...as usual. <3
ReplyDeleteBlessings from Ohio...Kim<><
I like the words highlighted in blue here; so true.
ReplyDeleteVery nice Debbie, something so simple yet true! Love, Bettina
ReplyDeleteDebbie, I love this post so much... you pricked my heart and in such a good way! For me it's over the sink full of dishes, but all the rest is the same :) I heart you!
ReplyDelete