Monday, September 29, 2014

Amazing Salmon Bisque



So, I brought out my boots and socks today and tossed the flip-flops aside. Just a little sign that I’m officially ready for fall (even though we’re expecting hot, dry Santa Ana winds down in our area later this week…grumble and growl). I love all things autumn, but it looks like I'll have to wait a few more days.

I also especially love Mondays; it’s my errand day. Grocery shopping day. My pay the bills day. Buy massive quantities of bird seed day. AND…it’s also cook and bake and don’t be afraid to try new recipes day J And today was no exception.

I noticed a box of seafood stock in my pantry this morning so the wheels started turning. I threw this together today after all the groceries were put away (after I’d made the recipe in my head about 14 times, LOL) and I’m happy to share it with you. My measurements aren’t exact – you’ll have to be the judge, depending on how large your fillets are.


What you’ll need:
3-4 small to medium Salmon fillets (Not whole fillets - I just used packaged, frozen fillets)
1 shallot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced small
½ red bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. flour
26 oz. seafood stock
2 c. white wine
1 c. heavy cream
¾ of small container sour cream
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
Seafood seasoning (I used Old Bay)
Olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Pour a Tbsp. or so of olive oil in a large pot (with a lid). Cook salmon fillets, both sides. Season with your favorite seafood seasoning. Once cooked, removed from pot and set aside.
In same pot, scrape up little bits of salmon from bottom. Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and a pat of butter. Sautee shallots, bell better and celery until translucent. Add a little salt and pepper while cooking. Add minced garlic and cook another minute or so, but don’t let garlic brown.
Add white wine. Bring to a slow boil and cook until liquid reduces by about half (about 7-8 minutes).
Reduce heat and sprinkle flour over mixture. Cook a few minutes to thicken (I use a whisk to mix it in well). Add tomato paste, rosemary and red pepper flakes and mix.
Whisk in seafood stock and bring back to a boil. Add heavy cream and sour cream. Mix well.
Break salmon into pieces and add to the pot.
I used an emulsion blender to blend it all together and thicken it.
Add Italian parsley.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails