Sunday, August 16, 2015

Thrive


The iron gate creaked with a high-pitched “Where have YOU been?” tone. I tried to brush away the guilt of dead, forgotten plants and the crunch of dried up, soon-to-be-dust weeds beneath my feet.

“I’m only here to snip a sprig of cilantro,” I said to all the little down-turned flower faces. Hmmm…if only it were still alive.

I closed the gate behind me biting my lip. If only there were more hours in a day. If only I could get to all the things needing my attention.

If only…



It doesn’t take that much time, really. After years of gardening, I know that my little space responds well to a little water and a little pruning here and there, and yes, even a little prayer. All it takes is a little time, patience and sacrifice. There’s always potential. There’s always still a bit of life left way down deep even if the exterior looks close to death.

And once again I’m reminded that one should never give up on something…or someone…with the potential to be lovely. With a little time and extra work, life and God-given beauty can be restored. There isn’t a garden that doesn’t benefit from a little love and attention, the nurturing that comes from a willing heart.



That which is meant to grow and bloom…will. I believe we’re put here to thrive in our elements…or in spite of them and that nothing or no one is beyond repair or redemption. There's a God-shaped need in all of us.

Every garden has potential.

There isn’t a soul that isn’t worth saving. There isn’t a soul that CAN’T be saved. When it comes to the effort and dedication of making this new creation in Jesus’ name, nothing is wasted. Never. Give. Up. on a soul needing Jesus.


This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 
(1 Timothy 2:3-4)



2 comments:

  1. What you said :) Beautiful reminder, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails