Sunday, July 25, 2010

All About the Cross

Would you go against what the Lord has called you to do if it meant gaining a portion of your "reward" now?
I've posted about the Ventura Book Festival that took place about a week ago.  It was a great place for writers, authors and wannabe authors to congregate in hopes of rubbing elbows with the few mingling literary agents and successful "book people" there.

I also posted about my encounter with an agent from an LA based agency who seemed interested in taking a look at my synopsis and sample chapters of my young adult book.  Interested, that is, until I mentioned it was a Christian project.  Christian meaning that it was purposely written from a Christian perspective, with a protagonist living out an unwavering faith despite her set of circumstances.  She was very sweet and stated that she doesn't represent Christian authors.  OK, that's fine - I'm good with that; a little bruised and disappointed, but I'm sure my breathing will return to normal on my way out to the parking garage........

If I'd written my manuscript for the mainstream young adult market, I would have come back smiling and empty handed.  Instead, knowing that I'd prayed about the the event before I even left the house, I knew that it was still in God's hands.  So, as I returned home with my package, synopsis, author bio and 3 sample chapters all intact, I also felt a sense of excitement - God had something else planned!  How cool is that?  Even though my plan was to hand off my hard work to a real-life, flesh and blood agent, God was letting me know that my time hadn't come yet.  It's that whole "Your will, not mine" thing.

The dream God has placed within me is sincere, as should my desire be to live a life that glorifies him.  I've known from the start of this whole book-writing journey that I would only produce material that would reveal to my reading audience the awesome, amazing, life-changing love and mercy of our Creator.

I know that God doesn't want my heart sometimes; he deserves so much more than a flip-of-the-switch faith, turned on and off depending on who I'm with, what they expect of me, or how happy I am on any given day.  I'm not about to waver in my purpose for writing, or change direction of the dream just to satisfy an editor's requirements.  The Lord has directed me to write for him, and "Writin' 4 Him" is what I love most!

You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
(2 Corinthians 3:3)

1 comment:

  1. Writing for Him and only via His leading is the only way to go. What other purpose could a Christian have than to do His bidding.

    The Lord has His reason for allowing that agent to turn you down. I have seen Him in operation and He is the best agent.

    Carol Flett
    www.godleadsusalong.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails