Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just Pray!

Good morning! 

Uh-oh.  You look a little discouraged today.

Have you prayed about it?

I know that sometimes when we pray, it feels like we’re just speaking words into the air, not thinking beyond our own aching heart.



But God does hear, and He knows the emotion and angst behind each one.  1 John 5:14-15 tells us This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.  And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.”

I’ll share a secret with you.  I spent years frustrated with myself; no that’s an understatement.  I was caught up and strangled with an inner turmoil that only God could unravel.  I struggled with wanting to do more.  Wanting to BE more.  Of course, I was thankful for the many blessings God has granted me, but deep inside I knew I was not living a completely fulfilled life.  I cried out to God in prayer many times with no response.  Until finally one day, His answer was almost audible.  Why?  Simply because I changed the way I prayed.

I’d just dropped my daughter off at school, and like every other day, I began praying to God on the way home.  I spoke words I thought He wanted to hear.  The stuff you hear everyone else pray. 

“Thank you, Lord for this day….yawn.  Please be with my family.  Be in all I do and say, yada, yada, yada…”  yawn…..

I mumbled the words over the top of my travel mug just like every other day until it struck me:  what an insult to God to give Him the mundane!  Here He was, as He was all those other mornings waiting, ready to receive my prayers and to receive so much more than that, and I chose to give Him about as much authority over my prayers as I would my dog!

I am a child of the most high God.  He wants all of me, and he doesn’t want it half-heartedly.  He deserves so much more than a pathetic request yawned over a travel mug.  He alone has the power to change it all right then and there, so that gives us the opportunity and the power to

Pray from a heart of victory; not a spirit of defeat.

That’s the day – the very moment the Lord told me to write for him!  All my creative energy belonged to Him to be used for His purpose – MY struggle was over.

Of course, that revelation alone did not lift all the clouds away, but it certainly released me of the burden I’d carried far too long.

We can pray like we mean it – after all, we’re praying to the One who conquered the grave!  Know, without a doubt, that the cries of your heart are being heard by the Creator.

Give it all to Him.

Don’t take it back.

And through His strength, His power and His love for You, He will lift you high above all that weighs you down in this world.  He hears your prayers, and when you release that authority over to Him, trust Him to help you learn to float on the breath of God.

Check out my article on Gifted Women at:  http://giftedwomen.net/articles/20100809_2

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails