Friday, August 27, 2010

Prove It!

It’s driving me crazy.  For the past two weeks or more, I’ve had a blog title buzzing in my head.  Only 2 words.  Nothing more.

“Prove it!”  Yep, that’s it.  That’s the title and I have no clue what to do with it. 

OK….Prove it….so, now what?

Actually, I do find it sort of ironic that today of all days, my pond water has finally cleared up!  Thank you, God!   In a blog post back in July titled “Murky Waters,” I mentioned a pond/aquatic expert who told me that the best way to clear up my ugly, green pond water was to just leave the whole thing alone and let the little eco system form.  He promised that one day I would walk out to my pond and all would be crystal clear. 

Hmm.   Really?  No bleach?  No scrub brush?  I was pretty skeptical and frustrated at first by his suggestion to simply do nothing while my poor fish played bumper cars in pea soup.  But I listened and resisted the urge to scrub it down.  With reluctance, I took his advice…and waited.

I think that God brought this clearing of the water about to illustrate to me that if we’re to call ourselves “Christian,” we need to “prove it” by resisting our human impulse and by living out the Christian response.  We talk about giving it all to God, to put our faith in what is unseen and to rest in the peace of knowing He has it all under control.  But it can be uncomfortable to step out in that faith and release ourselves from the problem.  We want to intervene and fix stuff all by ourselves; to help God out just like I wanted to step in and mess with the natural progression of things when the problem didn’t require my intervention at all.  If we profess it, then we need to speak it and mean it from a sincere heart - more importantly, live it by faith. 

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and
certain of what we do not see."  (Hebrews 11:1)

1 comment:

  1. You caught me. Smack dab in the middle of circumstances over which I have no control. Thanks for the reminder to give rightful ownership to the Author and Finisher of my faith. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails