Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Seasons

My year is divided into two seasons:  gardening and holidays!  I can't believe it's August already.  Didn't we just celebrate our graduates and set off fireworks for the 4th?  
     I'm really bad about jumping ahead - once the calendar even hints of fall, I break out the sweaters and "The Great Pumpkin"  Charlie Brown dvd. Unfortunately, here in my part of the world, autumn means suffering through a time of hot, dry winds before cooling off enough to enjoy a cup of cocoa by the fireplace.
     Likewise, while everyone's still picking Christmas turkey out of their teeth, I'm the first one at the nursery eager to buy up the bare-root roses and fruit trees.
"What do you mean, 'it's too soon for summer phlox and coneflower?'" I ask the sales guy (wrapped up in a scarf and gloves).  "This is California - people garden here 10 months out of the year."
     Anyway, I'm excited about the season ahead; back to school (yay), marching band for my daughter, college and band for my son, football games, parties, new recipes, shopping, decorating and planning - I love it all!  I especially love the fact that, because we know Who brings the changing seasons, we're able to approach them with optimism and hope.  We welcome the shifting winds, the shorter days and crisp mornings not really knowing what the new season will bring, but we know Who brings the season.
     On a personal note, I'm excited about the new ideas and plans for our women's ministry.  Helping to encourage and support other women all in the midst of various seasons of life is where a big part of my heart lies.  Autumn seems to be a time of regrouping and reconnecting with one another.
     I'm also excited to be in the writing mode, adding not only words but whole scenes and pivotal events to my manuscript.  
     So, I welcome the here and now, this moment in late summer, but know that I can look forward to the horizon and whatever the Lord has planned for the coming months.  It's His grace, mercy and perfect timing that carries us through every season of life.

As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat, summer and winter,
day and night will never cease."
(Genesis 8:22) NIV




1 comment:

  1. What a great quote in that first line; "two seasons, gardening and holidays." Nice blog.

    ProfessorRoush (www.kansasgardenmusings.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails