Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Whatever is noble...whatever is pure..."


I grumbled. I groaned. I scowled at the guy in the dilapidated Honda in front of me doing 35 mph with his muffler waving with the rhythm of my beating heart.

“Remind me again why I have to drive you to junior college 30 minutes away 2 days a week?” I mumbled over the top of my travel cup to my sleepy-eyed son.

“Oh, that’s right – because you spent your summer swimming with friends and yelling at video games when you could have gotten your driver’s license!”

There was no use in getting angry, I decided. He had an early class, and inconveniencing me was somehow easier than actually getting a ride from a friend…insert eye roll here. So, I flipped on soothing classical music, sipped my coffee and tried desperately to make the most of my reluctant morning commute.

Finally, past a flurry of exhaust-spewing semis and a couple freeway exits later, we said our good-byes and I turned back toward home. The classical music turned to opera – so NOT my mood of the moment, so I changed over to the Christian station.

Yep, God definitely gives us WHAT we need WHEN we need it. I’m sure it was no accident that I ended up listening to a Christian author whose words spoke directly to my dry, empty soul. God knows how I’ve been sitting and staring at a blank computer screen the past few days with the cursor screaming “Type something already!” What better way to help me through my dry spell than to hold me captive in traffic with the words of a professional Christian author speaking my language!

Wedged among an endless line of anxious motorists, my frustration quickly turned to praise as God’s message, spoken at just the right time, confirmed and reassured my calling to write for His glory. To top it all off, the author even recited one of my favorite scriptures, Philippians 4:4-9, as he spoke of our need as Christian authors to not be swayed by current market trends, but rather the importance of getting pure, wholesome literature into the hands of our young people. Amen.

Thank you, God, for traffic jams!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Phil. 4:4-9) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Debbie,
    I thoroughly enjoy my visit to your blog. Your writing and your "page" reminds me of how much I've yet to learn. Your future as a writer is as bright as the beautiful colors you've chosen.
    Enjoy the trip, then the ride. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails