Monday, October 4, 2010

Enjoy the New Season


Can you believe we’re already into October? Gotta admit, I’m pretty happy to wave good-bye to the summer and welcome the shifting breeze of fall; that wonderful time of year when we think twice about heading out the door in the morning without an umbrella or a sweater. (Never mind that I’m writing this today in 80 degree weather, but I can dream!) We keep a supply of wood handy by the fireplace, just in case. And we start scoping out Christmas presents, ornaments, new holiday recipes and build up our supply of baking essentials. I love to cook and bake, and I do a lot more of it as we approach the holidays.

To share my love of cooking with you all, I’ve included a Recipe of the Day feature from Taste of Home. Hopefully, you’ll be inspired to try some of their fantastic temptations (or attend one of their Cooking Schools). Check their web site at http://www.tasteofhomeschools.com/ShowScheduleCombined.asp for their Cooking School schedule to see when they’ll be in your area.

One of the things I really want to make absolute certain of this year is to truly enjoy the season. The stress of last year’s holiday season sort of robbed me of the Christmas spirit. Thanksgiving and Christmas came and went and I spent New Year’s Day feeling very cheated, but I only had myself to blame. Once again, I’d let myself get too caught up in the hurry, the gotta-dos, the donning of my Super-Mom cape to even enjoy the holidays. I never really “got into” the Christmas spirit, and believe me, I tried. I brought out the Christmas DVDs and CDs about mid-October but I still couldn’t find that satisfying warm-fuzzy feeling.

In preparation for a more relaxing time ahead, I’ve already said “no” to a few things that would compromise my time in the coming months, and already I feel better. It’s a wonderful word – no. It’s liberating. Freeing. Keeps me in charge of my brain cells and the family a little happier when Mom isn’t so stressed out.

So, I plan to linger a little longer over a good book or magazine article on those chilly afternoons. I’ll admire the changing leaves and approaching clouds with awe and appreciation. And when my daughter suggests we bake something yummy on a Saturday afternoon, I’ll try to remember how precious few those moments are becoming and take her up on her offer.

I hope to embrace the new season with a heart open to spontaneous opportunities, to capture precious moments with pen and paper but also to breathe deeply the gift of yet another passing year and abundant hope for the one to come.

And he said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. (Mark 6:31) ESV

1 comment:

  1. I can almost smell the fireplace and taste the cinnamon in your spiced tea. Fall is such a wonderful time of the year and your web page is a terrific way to welcome the sights and smells. I also enjoyed your "heads up" on not over-committing as we move into the holidays. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails