Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spiritual House Cleaning


“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10) NIV

So, I’ve decided to stop procrastinating and tackle some serious fall house cleaning. But where to start? With me, it’s always the kitchen. I hit the sinks and fridge (including the inch of dust that accumulates on top), then move on to the floors, polish the counters, clean the ovens and cook top and vacuum the narrow little tracks and grooves in my windows.
Then it’s time for the ceiling fans and light fixtures, clean the carpets and rugs, and just give each room the mother-in-law treatment – I like to imagine someone like, oh I don’t know, perhaps the photographer from Romantic Homes magazine is on their way over to photograph the place, and I only have one day to prepare. Yikes!
But why should our homes get all the attention? Why not take an honest assessment of our spiritual health too? When you stop and think about it, what are some of the things that might be a little dingey or stand out as needing improvement in your life? I’m sure many of us could use a little spiritual clean-up; a little polishing and prioritizing.
We can start by taking a look at our relationships; how we interact with our loved ones. What about our finances? Our personal habits? How we choose to spend our free time? What about vices and personal struggles? Sure, it all sounds good, but much like tackling our fall house cleaning, spiritual cleaning can also be overwhelming and intimidating. So, why not apply the same rules of organization as we take a look at ourselves and our lives, and establish 3 basic “piles”. When assessing your spiritual health, ask yourself,

What do I want to keep? You can stack hope and faith at the top of this pile and watch it grow!
What do I want to throw away? This is the stuff you want to give to God, never to be seen or heard from again. Be happy to see it leave because it has only proved to hold you back and weigh you down.
What do I want to donate or pass on to someone else? This pile will be all the things that you have experienced and you know would be of benefit to others; not just things like love, compassion and forgiveness, but answers to prayer and situations where you witnesses the hand of God.

Heavenly Father,
Help me to see the things in myself that you want me to see. Speak to my heart and show me what I need to clean up, where I need to improve so that I may live a life pleasing to you. Thank you for allowing the U-turns in life, and for giving us, your children, the opportunity to repent and change for the better. And thank you for loving us through it all. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

“…let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.” (Hebrews 10:22) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Great post and good connection extending doing the fall cleaning with what we should be doing in our inner lives. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails