Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Give Your Tongue a Makeover


“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29) NIV

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every little word that rolled off your tongue brought a smile to the Lord? Each day blessed you with rainbows and butterflies. Life would be pleasant and calm, free of stress and worry and crazy drivers AND you had children who always listened and minded your instruction…

Wake up! That’s not our world. You certainly don’t need me telling you that life is challenging and imperfect, but I do believe it’s possible to tame the tongue, so to speak and exercise a certain amount of control over our words as well as our motives behind them.

Have you thought about some of the things you’ve said that may be considered less than wholesome? I’m not just talking about profanity – what about negativity, criticism, judgmental comments or words spoken out of worry when you could be professing your faith in your living God instead. Is your faith in the One who still claims you as His own? Then speak it. Know in your heart of hearts that your hope lies with Him, and in Him, there is no need for worry or doubt. Believe me, I know how easy it is to enter into a conversation that contains nothing positive. It’s complaining or fidgeting or maybe even gossiping cleverly disguised as “sharing,” but who stands to benefit from such talk? Satan! Somehow, I can’t picture Jesus smiling at His children while they’re discussing another’s misfortune, bad decisions or immoral behavior.

In fact, just this morning I nearly started a conversation with someone, but then realized I’d only be spreading hurtful information I’d received, and there was absolutely nothing that could be considered God-glorifying by doing so. It would only prove to make the enemy happy.

So, I kept silent….this time!

Lord,

Help me to remember that you hear and record each word uttered from my mouth (“But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.” Matthew 12:36 NIV). I ask that you be Lord over ALL I do and say that I may live a life and speak of life in a way that glorifies only You. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I needed to be reminded of this today! There have been some crazy things going on within our sports family and some not nice things have been said, girls ended up leaving the team before the end of the season...just a mess! I also found out some info about what someone said about me and in my mind I have been gearing up for a confrontation...but I know that will just make things worse! Thank you so much for your words today Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to wonder if the Lord is trying to tell me something. Our Sunday School was on Ephesians 4:29, then the sermon, and now
    your good word on our words. Thank you for a worthy reminder. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails