Monday, October 25, 2010

Pushing Square Wheels

I woke up this morning to one of “those” days; a morning packed with little annoyances and self-imposed pressures. The clock kept ticking, yet it seemed everyone moved about the house at a sleepy snail’s pace while my mental to-do list for the day ahead quickly filled to over flowing.

But…God is good! He has a wonderful, gentle way of getting through my thick head when no one else can. When I’m so caught up in my own agenda, He has a way of letting me know that it’s MY agenda that brings on ridiculous amounts of stress and anxiety. Why? Because it’s not in line with HIS plan!

Stress! A sure sign of misalignment. When I try to rely on my own know-how (which doesn’t get me far these days) and disregard the abundance that Jesus offers, it’s like pushing a square wheel up a muddy slope! It’s exhausting and fruitless.

There’s a reason why we sometimes spin our wheels – why we can’t seem to gain traction. We waste precious time trying to beat the clock and meet OUR own expected outcome when the Lord tells us to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10).

It’s almost like He’s saying, “Hold on! You’re working against me – you’ve prayed about your situation and I’ve heard you, so let me take it from here. Let me show you the other path; the one much easier to tread. The special one I’ve layed out for only you.”

So, which path are you taking today?

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Your word pictures are priceless and the vision of trying to push a square wheel up a muddy slope will be a constant reminder that I need to fall in behind Him each morning.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails