Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Collecting Marbles


The images have clouded over the years, but sometimes the cotton-candy like fog clears and I'm that little girl again walking the fence line with Papo; one of my childhood super heroes.
Marbles grew out of the dirt in his back yard. I remember plucking them from the ground and filling my pockets...dirt and all. He and Mamo knew just how to calm the storm of a little girl caught in the middle of divorce - how it tugged and pulled and confused me. Yet those simple, sweet, quiet moments spent walking hand-in-hand in search of little shiny spots of hope are more precious now than before as I realize God's involvement - even then.
He gives us those shiny moments in the middle of our struggle. Sometimes they're a little more hidden beneath the dirt, but they're there. He carefully plants each one just like I imagine Papo out scattering those marbles along the fence hiding them just enough to be a mystery, yet exposing just enough to catch the light of day...and a granddaughter's smile.
Sometimes it's easy to build things up in our minds when we're hoping for the perfect outcome. The perfect situation. The perfect opportunity...the perfect holiday.
I'm praying God has scattered little rays of hope along your path; treasured moments in the midst of stress and trial that reflect the light of his love - shiny moments to tuck away in the pockets of your mind.

God Bless you, and may your Thanksgiving celebration
be full of shiny moments!

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one as well as the other...
(Ecclesiastes 7:14) NIV

4 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for the little "marbles" God places in our lives. You're right, they are always there. Sometimes we just have to look a little harder to notice them.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me cry this morning (just kidding). Such a sweet and beautiful story. Great imagery too, as always. I like this, "He gives us those shiny moments in the middle of our struggle. Sometimes they're a little more hidden beneath the dirt, but they're there." It is so true that the shiny moments are there in the midst of hard times. If we just keep our eyes on Jesus during a storm, He will reveal those precious, peaceful shining moments!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Sweet Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those confusing feelings from my own parents divorce and I too am grateful for the little "marbles" carefully hidden by our God who loves us so much. I don't remember them as much back then... but I didn't know God back then. Today, some of my most treasured little "marbles" are found in the beautiful written words of people like you! Have a blessed Thanksgiving Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie,

    Love your message. Coincidentally, I have a similar message I recently posted about giving thanks in all circumstances. And yes, the Lord has scattered little rays of hope along my path, and I'm so grateful for it. In his name, Amen!

    http://www.virtuouswomanministry.blogspot.com
    http://www.judysphotogallery.blogspot.com

    Blessings,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails