Sunday, November 28, 2010

Quick - To the Mom Cave!


I really think Batman was on to a good thing with his self-contained, state-of-the-art underground hideaway! To escape the demands of the world, he retreated to his solitary domain to rethink, regroup and recharge. I could certainly make great use of such a haven…(Note to Self: add 1 bat cave to Christmas wish list).
I can see it now: a mom-style retreat completely void of dirty socks, ironing boards or soap scum, certainly no mouthy teenagers and no “It’s okay. Mom will clean that up later” messes!
Wow – do you detect a bit of cabin fever here today???
Maybe I’m just getting old and stale in my thinking. OR, perhaps both peace and quiet have grown tired of waiting around for the “vacancy” sign to light up and have moved on to another house.
I write my blog posts in the little stolen moments between trips to the dryer, standing at the stove and picking up or dropping off half a dozen kids each day. However, this particular stolen moment is interrupted by the blender groaning and chugging out my son’s milk shake while my husband can’t seem to keep his finger off the Up arrow of the remote!
I think every hard-working mom out there deserves her very own mom cave, especially this time of year. A mom cave might come in handy when:
• You’re standing behind 26 people in line in the middle of the Christmas rush and person #8 is joined by 6 of her friends, arms loaded with purchases of their own!
• After many failed attempts at constructing a gingerbread house with the kids, you finally give in and break out the heavy-duty wall putty when the frosting fails to hold your walls in place.
• You’ve already endured the kids’ 2 ½ hour Christmas music performance when the teacher announces, “For our final number, won’t you please join us in singing ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’.”
• Your son or daughter comes home from school and informs you that you’ve been “nominated” to bake cupcakes for the entire 3rd grade student body for their Christmas party….tomorrow!
Okay, in all fairness, I’d have to admit that such a mom cave would get pretty lonely after….I don’t know….maybe a week or two…
Seriously, be good to yourself this season. Grab those moments of awe and wonder when they stare you head on. Take time to reflect, to truly enjoy from the inside out, to laugh with your whole heart, to say “no” to some things and “yes” to others, and to celebrate the birth of our Lord with those who make your heart sing to the highest notes.
(And don’t forget to add that mom cave to your Christmas wish list!)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
(Matthew 11:28-30) NIV

4 comments:

  1. A mom cave does sound like a good idea. :) I'm so thankful that we can spend time with Jesus and be refreshed and refilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm SO in on the Mom Cave! You had me giggling all through this post Debbie :) Thanks for the sweet reminder to be good to ourselves by remembering who we are and who HE is!
    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is great Debbie. I love the humor...Im sitting at the computer and laughing at 6am! You are a great writer and I love reading your stuff girl! "Okay, in all fairness, I’d have to admit that such a mom cave would get pretty lonely after….I don’t know….maybe a week or two"... lets go with two weeks how about!? Lets go to the presses and draft up the "mom cave" sign, perhaps in a light shade of pink and purple? Can you tell I have three girls at home? Hope you have agreat day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a Mom cave on the beach, please.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails