Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Taking Time for God

tulips in windowphoto © 2008 liz west | more info (via: Wylio)
My Bible lies open, flat on the coffee table with morning sun casting rays across Matthew 6. I’d set it down earlier to run off to some other task – some other call for my attention. God’s provision in the Word printed on thin pages open, hopes and promises exposed to the busy morning as I rush past with arms full of laundry basket heaping and me hurried.

I pass by again when the phone rings, and glance at it once more as I head out the back door with the broom in my hand.

How patient He waits for me to come to him open with soul flat, heart heavy and exposed to His grace. And I sigh convicted…ashamed.

I cry out my needs and desires with assurance that my pleas have been heard by the only One who can heal the hurt and mend the holes in my day…but how often am I truly there for Him? When do I really “show up” fully attentive, ready to receive His leading, His conviction, His forgiveness…His blessing?

Heavenly Father,

Help me to listen for your voice and your direction giving full attention to you not just when I need you, but when you call. Slow me down. Speak to me that I may hear and receive your words. Amen

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon, and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!"
(Mark 1:35-37,
NIV)

“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."
(Luke 5:16, NIV)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, you just wrote my heart out... praying the same prayers to the same patient and loving God. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good Debbie. This is also my heart. I want to turn to God for everything, not just when I need Him. I want to be tuned into Him and hear His voice when He calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I read your article about Paris in my Victoria magazine and I wanted to know if you could tell me what cooking classes you took there. I looked some up on the web and they are really expensive and thought maybe the ones you attended were more reasonable. Enjoyed your story very much! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,
    Thank you so much for checking out my article in Victoria! Wow!
    The cooking class was awesome! It was Chef Eric Fraudeau at Cookin' With Class: http://cooknwithclass.com/ They offer several different classes - check out their web site for one that interests you. Honestly, I don't remember how much it cost, but it was so worth it! (Seems like I remember paying something like $175 to him personally after the class). Hope you're able to find one - enjoy! Thanks again for stopping by AND for reading my article!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails