Thursday, September 1, 2011

First

'Pink ' photo (c) 2009, Allana - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

There she was…

out the slamming door and down the front steps to her first day as a High School Senior tossing something full of fire and venom over her shoulder.

There I was…

held tight with tears and memories, not about the moment, but about all the “firsts” we’ve seen together. I went way back to the beginning, back when she spent her first night in the neo-natal unit, back before first words and first hurts….praying God would grant her life beyond her first day.

There she was…

on a Sunday morning shaking the quiet from the calm and shaking me to anger; wondering how I was supposed to help lead worship with my joy stolen and trampled.

There I was…

Singing the words of “Standing on the Promises” from the platform. I look beyond the hands raised, the faces of worship, to where she sits and I sing the words to her – straight through to her challenge and defiance. We smile, but I’m standing on the promises of what I know is true; the firm and solid foundation of Jesus. Standing on the promises…standing firm as a mom. Standing firm as a woman of God.

Standing firm.

'Praise' photo (c) 2009, Michael Miner - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

And I think of the words and what it takes to live them.

Lift your hands and simply say “Praise God….praise God”….and repeat.

Anger dissolves when we praise His name. Keeps it at a simmer within instead of bubbling right over into hurt feelings and bruised relationships….

because you can’t praise Him without a smile. It takes a measure of joy to utter gratitude.

If I’d only praised Him….first.

“Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

(Isaiah 40:29-30) NIV

5 comments:

  1. The same is true with prayer. I was thinking just yesterday how when I put my kids to bed and it's a frustrating... sometimes maddening experience and they still don't let me out of the room without praying for them. With anger and upset welling up inside of me I must go to my knees at their bedside and humble myself before Him before I can utter one word over them. That's what I was reminded of when you said...

    "Anger dissolves when we praise His name. Keeps it at a simmer within instead of bubbling right over into hurt feelings and bruised relationships….

    because you can’t praise Him without a smile. It takes a measure of joy to utter gratitude."

    Thank you Debbie, loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true! I've been working on quietly saying, "Jesus" over and over again until I calm down or stop feeling down. It's amazing how His name alone can instantly calm a storm. I feel like I've tapped into the natural programming of our souls, if only I could remember to do it every time :) Love it Debbie :) ♥

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words of remembering and moving forward. I had two in the NICU as well. It is very scary. But what joy to see that baby who is now grown up move into the next season of her life. I love these words, "Anger dissolves when we praise His name. Keeps it at a simmer within instead of bubbling right over.." So true, but sometimes the praising him part is hard in the midst of temper tantrums (adult ones)! :) thank you for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too am the mom who is humbled after i've let a frustration steal my joy and then wonder how i can pray with my boys (before school, before bed). but i take the step-embarassed of course-and still full of myself. and as i give into the words and my heart connects with God, the anger, the frustration, the "me" subsides and turns only to Him. LOVE this post. thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails