Friday, September 30, 2011

You Can't Do it Alone!

'lion_tongue' photo (c) 2009, Dan Taylor - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/



My little voice of negativity is a roaring lioness these days. She wakes me somewhere around 4am growling as I fight for sleep, snarling me awake with fears and doubts until I rise to begin the day already beaten and deep into worry.

Somewhere in the dark, I find my praise; mutter my faith in the One who casts light on my dark morning. But my whisper is no match for the strength of the beast when she’s determined to claim my joy and win over my dreams.

She breathes hot across my neck words of failure, disappointment… discouragement. I deflect her negative jabs and rub my eyes as I walk the cold tile floor to the coffee pot. She’s relentless in her pursuit, stalking, stirring up emotions and old memories, all the reasons to stop and retreat, to take cover and hide beneath the shelter of my insecurities.

My cup clangs to the counter and I give in to the hunt.

“I can’t do this!” I cry out. “This is too much for me – the task is too big…too great. Who in the world do I think I am, anyway? I just can’t…”

But the lioness is a coward and I am humbled as we’re both silenced there…in the very presence of Him.

And I hear, “You’re right – YOU alone can’t do it.”

'Coffee at my secret morning coffee place' photo (c) 2006, Pete Barr-Watson - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

So, it’s time to live out what I profess. It turns out the challenge is mine, as suddenly “The Courage to Fly” is a pretty steep mountain to conquer.

But if my God can tame the lioness and send her running, He surely has the power that equips and strengthens – the power that guides me forward and fills me with the joy of knowing Him.

I’m praising God today for opportunities that grow us. I’m thanking Him for moments such as these where our faith rises up larger than we are and sends our lioness running back to her dark cave. His strength in my weakness. More of Him – less of me. The Way, the Truth and the Life that fuels our courage to fly!

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

(1 Peter 5:8) NIV

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

(John 10:10) NIV



9 comments:

  1. You rise above the depths of your discouragement to bring encouragement to others--how beautiful, Debbie!
    Have a blessed day!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIS strength...my weakness. More Of HIM...less of me. Two of my favorite things! I can totally relate to this Debbie. This is great encouragement...Thank you.

    Blessings...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the voices, the voices!! Ha! So true. Sometimes it feels like we are the wimpy one but God does love us in our weakness doesn't He? Guess it's because He knows more than we do. I am counting on that!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we are weak, then we are strong. You don't have to do it on your own. And you know God is faithful - He has planted this seed in you and He will be faithful to see it through. Many blessings, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, my sweet friends, for taking the time to comment. You're so special to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a descriptive way of sharing what so many of us experience. I love how He gently draws us back to Him when our focus strays. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a daily walk isn't it? Daily we beat back the enemy of our soul. Daily we cling to His promises. Daily we learn to lay claim to who HE says we are. Wash, rinse, repeat... such a blessing you are! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a tear in my eye as though you just read my heart, mind and soul. The morning darkness where the Lord sheds his glorious light are my mornings as well. I tremble at the thoughts and the tasks that are too great for me, but not for Him. Baby steps, one day at a time.
    Blessings Debbie!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your honesty! Thank you, thank you, thank you Debbie!

    I am making my way through the past posts, and just came across this one. What a beautiful description. I too have stood at the counter, crying out, “This is too much for me – the task is too big…too great. Who in the world do I think I am, anyway? I just can’t…”

    Praise God He does indeed fuel our courage to fly!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails