Monday, September 26, 2011

"The Courage to Fly" Part 5 - Don't Be Deterred by Opposition!

'Mountain-sliding ahead' photo (c) 2006, ItzaFineDay - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I had to look twice at the jogger who paced impatiently on the corner waiting for the traffic to flow so he could safely cross the street. There was definitely something different about him as he bobbed and moved. That’s when I realized the man had no legs! His prosthetic devices began somewhere above the knees and continued down to his running shoes with long, preformed metal bars. I watched him and immediately wondered about the effort of simply getting out of bed in the morning, or showering, or driving a car, or even bending over to hug a child. Simple things to those of us blessed with full use of our limbs, but no doubt a real challenge to that man.

I continued on through the intersection feeling very small.

I’d learned a huge lesson and not a word was spoken.

I found myself saying, “What is your excuse, Debbie? You have everything in working order, so why can’t/don’t you accomplish what you’ve set out to do? What in the world is holding you back from being all that God designed you to be?” Suddenly, my excuses faded away in the blur of tail lights and I realized there will always be opposition. For every positive, we have to expect a negative, but we have to decide which is bigger to us. Which is more important? Which deserves more of our time and effort; looking far and wide with enthusiasm out the windshield of our car, or squinting to see the view of past mistakes or rejections out the rear-view mirror? God wants us looking forward, moving forward…living forward.

The answer is simple, I decided: I have to want it badly enough! I have to want my dream enough to endure the pain. To make the sacrifice. To say ‘no’ to some things, and ‘yes’ to others. I can’t imagine the obstacles that jogger must have faced in order to gain the strength, the courage and the endurance to run again. He didn’t care how he might have looked to the world; it was focus, determination and the belief that he was fighting for something bigger than himself that kept him standing there on the corner waiting to cross.

That’s why it’s so important not to waiver in your decision to pursue that which brings you joy. There will be rejections and obstacles in your path that will only work to your advantage if you never lose site of your goal. The light at the end of the tunnel still burns even while you’re knee-deep in negativity. Opposition can present itself in many forms, so cultivate good habits and good relationships. Surround yourself with those who want to experience your success right along with you. And keep moving forward….always forward.

Habakkuk 2:3- "But these things I plan won't happen right away.

Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled.

If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed."

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! Well worth the wait today, thank you for this blessing Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to want it badly enough. Great words today, Debbie. You know the saying, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going?" Well, for me it sometimes is, "when the going gets tough, it's time to stop." That kind of living isn't pleasing to anyone, especially God. He is helping me to see that it might be tough - even seem impossible to me, but all things are possible with Him. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post today took me into my own feelings of inadequacy. Sometimes those feelings seem to paralyze me at times, and lead me into a place where no decision is made. Then there are other times when I jump the gun and run to far ahead when it is not yet time. Being patient and steadfast is a lesson I'm learning. Thanks for taking further in my quest.

    Blessings in your new journey of faith!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! perfect timing..thank you Debbie for sharing..Have a blessed day..Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. A word spoken in a timely manner. Thanks for sharing and reminding me to "never stop".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, ladies! I SO appreciate you stopping by to read :) Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie - what an encouraging post. I gripe about not achieving things but then don't commit to doing things properly. You have encouraged me to want it more, be determined, one step at a time.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie -- I think it ALL boils down to this statement that you underlined --> I have to want it badly enough! <-- NO one can want it for us. It's a decision, a commitment that only we can make. Once the "why" is strong enough and clearly established, "The light at the end of the tunnel still burns even while you’re knee-deep in negativity."

    I love this post...I'm SO thrilled that you reached out to me and that I found your site. =) Thank you for these words, the encouragement.

    Keeping it Personal,
    Teri Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this wisdom Debbie... "For every positive, we have to expect a negative, but we have to decide which is bigger to us." So very true my friend. What wonderful encouragement and comfort in those verses in Habakkuk! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Debbie~This is perfect for me. I have been asking myself that very thing the last couple of days. Why do I not want certain things "badly enough" to just stick to my plan and do them??!! Your post gives me great encouragement today to try one more time to meet some goals that I set for myself about 9 months ago. Thank you for writing this! Love that verse!
    Blessings to you today...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this post.It spoke to me . Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails