Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Matriarch

Definition of Matriarch: The mother and ruler of a family

or of her descendants; a ruler by maternal right.

'Forget-me-nots' photo (c) 2008, Elz - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I knew it would be the last time our eyes would meet. The last time I’d hold her hand, hear her speak my name. I wondered if all the years and the miles had somehow faded who I was to her. Did she remember all we shared…all she’d been to me?

But then her smile confirmed it; her wit and humor, even in her feeble frame with pink gown and rocking chair…the rise and fall of memories still breathing deep, still vivid and alive and my heart danced with her ice-blue eyes. The connection made – hearts embraced.

When the news came this week that she’d breathed her last and gone home to be with Jesus, the word “matriarch” chimed loud and strong, and I struggled with its meaning. The word, a sharp contrast to a beautiful, pure spirit lived out not in capital letters but with humble, simple words. A life without flourish – without pretense, yet in a sense, as a matriarch nonetheless. She held unspoken power, distinction, honor. A matriarch of a different nature, though Grandma would never own it.

'Backyard Butterfly' photo (c) 2009, diasparmrb - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

I have to believe that there are others like her; those who prefer the sidelines giving support to those on center stage. Those who aren’t about title, recognition or gain, living practically instead of radically.

“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”

(Titus 2:3-5) NIV

To me, “Matriarch” couldn’t be defined any better.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie, this brought tears to my eyes! When I think of matriarch, my sweet grandmother comes to my mind. I am praying God's sweet comfort for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something near and dear to my heart. I know that my time is limited with my Grandmother as well. I'm glad to know that yours is dancing in heaven now and waiting for her family there. That is the most precious comfort at a time like this. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad for your loss :( You honored her in such a beautiful way here! She sounds humble and lovely and like she will be dearly missed. Praying for you! We used the same verse today, love it when God does that :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute. I'm sure she had such a special love for you & is immensely proud. What precious memories you have.

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  5. God's comfort to you, Debbie. How well you have captured your Grandmother's spirit in this post. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into life with her.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautifully said... Your relationship with your grandmother was very special. Thank you for sharing such a special and private memory that allows us, your readers to also find joy and comfort in, as if we knew her too! God bless you.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful words by a beautiful person! You inspire me to be my best, love ya!!
    ~~Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching tribute, Debbie. Our grandmothers set a very high standard with the legacy they left with us. The passage in Titus is one I need to read every day. Your heart for God honors your sweet matriarch. You surely made her very proud. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails