Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In the Forefront


It was time to change out the old screen saver; the one with the Christmas tree loaded with gifts, the cozy fire, the candle light and the cookies and milk on the coffee table.

The season has passed and the year ahead looks bright.

So I browsed through my photo selection on my computer to find the one which best defines my current state of mind.

Too early for light and airy spring-type stuff with our rainy season just around the corner.

Not really in the mood for the deep and abstract.

Animal pics? Nah.

Hey! The coffee cup and Bible – that’s it! I’m all about a great cup of coffee, especially when paired with the Word of God.

But wait…the coffee cup is in the forefront and the Bible is blurred out behind it.

What does this really mean? Does one screen-saver photo really matter all that much when the Lord knows my heart better than anyone?

The picture’s cute, but I wanted to reverse it – put the Bible in front and blur out the coffee cup.

Hmmmhow many times have I done this very thing in real life?

How many times have I sat down and opened a dusty Bible searching for the answers when it suits me? Seeking to be fed and deciding when to be led down the divine path? When I’ve fallen into that rut of exhausting all other resources FIRST only to finally flop down as if to say, “OK, Lord. I’ve done all I can with this – now it’s your turn!”

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

(Matthew 6:33) NIV

We’ve all heard it before: “God doesn’t want our leftovers.” But isn’t that exactly what we’re doing if we’re living with other things in the forefront and in clear view keeping God’s Word just out of reach to be used as a last resort?

I have to ask myself: what am I putting in the forefront today? There is nothing bigger or more important than the Word of God except God himself. But is that how I’m living?

Is that HOW you’re living?

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I don't know how to do anything like that!
    I'm hosting a Best of 2011 blog hop and would love to have you come and link up a post from 2011. http://www.shandaoakleyinpsires.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how God can take a simple picture and teach such a powerful lesson from it.....Thank you for sharing your thoughts; just what I needed to hear today.......

    Hugs and blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great question to consider today, Debbie. I want to keep God in the forefront of my life at all times, but I know I fail. Something to work on for 2012.

    Happy New Year dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of wishes to you, Debbie, in the coming year. You bless those around you as well as those who know you only by your written thoughts and your heart for the Lord. May you blessed many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully stated. Isn't it amazing how God works in our lives? All you wanted to do was change your picture and you ended up writing something that is so perfect for all of us to read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its funny cause you learn and then keep what you learn in the back ground to forge ahead but while forging ahead you use what you learned and keep in the back ground, so in essence it is never in the back ground, but always forging ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing."Oh my Dear, Forget ur Fear, Let all ur Dreams be Clear, Never put Tear, Please Hear, I want to tell one thing in ur Ear, Wishing u a very Happy "NEW YEAR"! "

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails