Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cleaning out the Corners



We’ve had such beautiful weather here in California. Seems strange to go through the holiday season with temps in the 70s, but I’ll take it.

In fact, the warm sun and singing birds drew me out to my favorite room in the house over the New Year’s weekend…my back patio. My pond is there with the little waterfall and goldfish. My comfy whicker settee gives me a great view of the garden and chickens that scratch around in the coop. From there I watch the dogs (and sometimes husband and kids) at play on the lawn and sip iced tea on warm afternoons.

I decided to tidy things up a bit so I set to work on the pond; out with the murky water, in with the new. I moved plants around, swept and watered until I was a dirty, sweaty mess….and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

'Le

There’s something spiritually cleansing when we dig in and give attention to the little things, don’t you think? It sets the mind at peace when we move away the debris, sweep out the hidden corners and address the thorough cleaning that needs to be done.

It makes me think of all the “corners” of my life that could use some attention; all the relationships that could use a little sprucing up.

Convicting? Yes.

Hard work? Yes.

Impossible?

No.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
(Philippians 4:13)

And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
(Matthew 19:26)

Lord Jesus,

I pray for the reader of these words. I ask that you help guide her to the corners; those hidden away places that require the very light of your love and mercy, for it’s in the darkest corners where you shine the brightest. As we each arm ourselves with the power of your Word, may you strengthen us all to go boldly into each situation we face. In Jesus’ Name…Amen

5 comments:

  1. I have also been enjoying this weather. We took the sky lift up to the top of Mount Baldy yesterday and were hot in our long sleeve shirts!
    thank you for the reminder to clean out the cobwebs in our hearts as well as our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some pretty weather here in NC but today it's in the 30's..kinda cold but sunny.....no porch sitting for me today.....

    I love this post.....there's nothing like doing a cleaning job on a much needed project to make one feel so much better.....Thank goodness God is in the cleaning business and helps us with all those areas that would like to stay hid......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Love your prayer Debbie, and I'm going to share it with a friend who is hurting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine a really warm Christmas (it was hard enough without snow this year!) but I love what you said about paying attention to the "little things." Got lots of little things in my life that could use a little sprucing up. Your post spoke to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, we too have had a surprisingly mild winter (I know we are going to get it soon enough though!)...your post reminded me of how much I love spending time in my garden. Missing spring already! Thanks for this my dear!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails