Friday, December 9, 2011

Matters of the Heart (re-visited)


My hands worked over a mound of honey-colored dough kneading with my palms across a board awash in warm sunlight of a fall afternoon. The enticing aroma of focaccia hung heavy, and in the quiet hum of tradition I connected somehow with countless others who've smiled deep within their souls the same satisfaction of such a moment. The traditions, the matters of the heart, are what bind us together in prayer and in praise...those who marvel at simple blessings. I think of all the long-stemmed roses I've gathered throughout the years; those cleverly disguised as mothers, grandmothers, aunts and precious lady friends who have unfurled their strength of character and fragrance of love upon my life. They have exuded grace and humility in passing down traditions born of hard work, sacrifice, love of family and a desire to best equip those fortunate enough to have received the blessings of hearth and home. Lord, thank you for holidays past that still bring a tear. Thank you for lessons learned from the tattered hem of every apron, and for the love that still remains in each memory. Thank you for the many hands at work this season preparing and nurturing...blessing those who gather with thankful hearts. In Jesus' name. Amen. "Likewise teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind; and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." (Titus 2:3-5) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie! I found you today on Christian Bloggers- and I am a sucker for an open notebook and a pair of glasses in a picture! I am journal girl at heart! Then as I visited you are playing my very favorite Christmas CD on your Blog! I thought my CD player went on on the other room, by accident! lol.
    So nice to visit. I am following you now via GFC- so will be stopping by now and again! In His Grace, Dawn @ Beneath The Surface: Breath of Faith

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails