Monday, January 9, 2012

Oh, To Be Refinished...

'Wood Grain' photo (c) 2005, Jeff Hitchcock - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I remember the day my father-in-law brought it. He made the 6-hour trek down to our house and delivered my beautiful buffet; a cabinet from around the ‘40s in well-loved condition though bearing a few “wrinkles” here and there, just like the rest of us. He and my husband wrestled with it through the door and settled it in front of the living room window. I immediately thought of how I’d decorate it for the holidays and how pretty plants, candles and family photos would look displayed across the top.

It’s become more worn since then. A few more signs of life have marred the surface and a couple drawer handles are now broken. I’ve thought about refinishing it, but quickly shy away from the work involved. I considered maybe just adding a layer across what’s been done before, but why do a restoration job half way? When such a thing is meant to fool the eye, we’re only fooling ourselves….right?

I, for one, would never want to be refinished half way.

It only produces a dull surface to add layer upon layer in an attempt to get the full results. It takes the strength of the Lord to get to the heart, to peel back those layers and expose the true wood grain that lies beneath with its natural beauty and character. It takes the complete stripping away of failed attempts made over the years to receive the perfect work of God’s “refinishing,”

He doesn’t just add one more layer upon our failed workmanship.

There are no shortcuts to the process when we’ve set our minds to be fully restored in Him. I’m so thankful today for the God who doesn’t shy away from the work involved….aren’t you?

Lord Jesus,

Hear the hearts of those who wish to be fully surrendered to your workmanship. Refine and bring beauty to all who are seeking the perfect work of your mighty hand that we may bring glory to you and be a blessing to others in Your name.

Amen

For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. – Ephesians 2:10

5 comments:

  1. Thank goodness He doesn't do things half way...What a mess we would be in then...

    Your post is a wonderful analogy....It has reminded me to do things well just as the Father does or leave it alone.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The refinishing work can be long and painful sometimes, but I'm thankful for the work that God is doing. And I'm thankful that He doesn't take shortcuts - He loves me too much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, beautiful prayer. God continue your work in me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, God never does anything half way. Everything is complete in its time. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stripping away that the Lord does is usually hard but I have been finding out that it is worth it!
    Thank you for writing this message.
    Blessings Debbie
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails