Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How He Holds Me Together

'Soap bars on two folded blue towels' photo (c) 2008, Horia Varlan - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

It was after I’d scrubbed fingerprints and dog nose marks from the windows and doors. After I’d vacuumed rugs, mopped the tile, unloaded the dishwasher and filled the bathroom cabinet with clean, soft towels. After I’d smoothed out the wrinkles in the bed sheets and comforter, swept the patio and pulled the chicken from the freezer to thaw for dinner ~ when I remembered the ladies talking in the grocery store aisle.

When I heard the words, they sort of just sat there, unsettled and rough.

“As the mom and wife, you’re the glue that holds your family together,” one said to the other nodding her head in agreement.

My stomach knotted.

I gripped the shopping cart and wandered away…thinking, considering the burden of being “the glue” and how my poor family wouldn’t stand a chance if they relied solely on MY strength and abilities to keep things afloat at home.

He himself existed before anything else did, and he holds all things together.

(Colossians 1:17)

'Window box perfection' photo (c) 2011, Rachel Kramer - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

As the “mom and wife,” I couldn’t possibly be the glue that holds my family together. Without the strength of God, the presence of Him, the constant need and leading of Him, I am but an empty vessel.

The binding element in my family and my home is none other than the power and love of Jesus. He sustains, overcomes, strengthens, provides, protects, understands, calms and brings peace far beyond my ability.

I am not the glue that holds my family together, but my Jesus is.

'Flowers' photo (c) 2011, Moyan Brenn - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

4 comments:

  1. Love this post, Debbie! Love you, too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true; I hope the gals talking in the store know this.
    I posted the cover art for my new book on my blog today, if you'd like to take a look :) My book is for moms, and has a Christian publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie, Great post! To recognize He is the glue that holds our lives together and that it is nothing of ourselves. Some days I realize that I'm trying too hard and I just need to be reminded of His great and awesome power. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true girl! God is the only glue that holds all the pieces together!:) We would all be in trouble over here if my family relied soley on me. Thank you Jesus for holding the pieces together when they so often want to fall apart! I am thankful I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails