Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Discernment


'Foxgloves in the Herb Garden' photo (c) 2007, joleethomp - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/
I love to challenge myself when I go to the nursery or visit other gardens. I want and need to know the names of every plant I see; the Latin for some and the common for others. Sounds strange, I know, but it’s just a little game I play; sort of my own personal “Jeopardy”.

I do the same when identifying the poisonous or toxic plants, and there are many. Some, are quite deceptive, like the foxglove, hydrangea, azalea and brugmansia (angel’s trumpet), to name a few. They’re beautiful and unique each in their own way but are highly poisonous if ingested or even inhaled in some cases.

I think life requires the same discernment in identifying what is beautiful through and through as opposed to that which only holds its attraction on the surface. It’s so easy to be misled by the beauty and allure of something that we believe will benefit us in some way. We think we can identify what is from the Lord and what is not. And sometimes, we end up with something just as toxic and unhealthy as the plants listed above.
 'Highchair Blue Praying' photo (c) 2011, Gordon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
So, what is the best way to identify God and His will for us when making decisions in our lives? The answer is simple: by staying in constant communication with Him.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
(1 Thessalonians 6:16-18) NIV

Heavenly Father,
Help each of us to use discernment and sound judgment in our daily lives. Bless the reader of these words with your presence today. Give clarity to confusion and Lord, help us all to identify the many traces of you throughout each day.
In your name, we pray….Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about some of the flowers!:)I have poison on my front porch!! It is so true though an outward appearance can be deceiving...we must be on guard so that we notice the bad things versus the good:)) Lov the new site:)) Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to garden too and especially enjoy a time of prayer with my Heavenly Father. Love the new blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my flowers, but I can barely keep up with their common names - the Latin names would surely overload me! : )

    It has taken a seemingly 24/7 communication with Him lately to make sure I'm staying in the center of His will. Have you ever had a time like that? Just as I end one prayer, I am back in another one...asking for His guidance.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails