Friday, October 12, 2012

You Can’t Do it Alone! (Revisited)


'Lioness at Tsavo East' photo (c) 2008, steven withers - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

My little voice of negativity is a roaring lioness these days. She wakes me somewhere around 4am growling as I fight for sleep, snarling me awake with fears and doubts until I rise to begin the day already beaten and deep into worry.
Somewhere in the dark, I find my praise; mutter my faith in the One who casts light on my dark morning. But my whisper is no match for the strength of the beast when she’s determined to claim my joy and win over my dreams.
She breathes hot across my neck words of failure, disappointment… discouragement. I deflect her negative jabs and rub my eyes as I walk the cold tile floor to the coffee pot. She’s relentless in her pursuit, stalking, stirring up emotions and old memories, all the reasons to stop and retreat, to take cover and hide beneath the shelter of my insecurities.

'a time for a cup of coffee' photo (c) 2008, OiMax - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
My cup clangs to the counter and I give in to the hunt.
“I can’t do this!” I cry out. “This is too much for me – the task is too big…too great. Who in the world do I think I am, anyway? I just can’t…”
But the lioness is a coward and I am humbled as we’re both silenced there…in the very presence of Him.
And I hear, “You’re right – YOU alone can’t do it.”
So, it’s time to live out what I profess. It turns out the challenge is mine, as suddenly “The Courage to Fly” is a pretty steep mountain to conquer.
But if my God can tame the lioness and send her running, He surely has the power that equips and strengthens – the power that guides me forward and fills me with the joy of knowing Him.

'love poeme' photo (c) 2009, sophie - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
I’m praising God today for opportunities that grow us. I’m thanking Him for moments such as these where our faith rises up larger than we are and sends our lioness running back to her dark cave. His strength in my weakness. More of Him – less of me.The Way, the Truth and the Life that fuels our courage to fly!

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8) NIV
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10) NIV

Many Blessings to you, sweet sister,
Debbie
christianwomensvoice.org


5 comments:

  1. Debbie, I have met that lioness too, and a favorite saying of mine is "Don't say God I have a big problem, but rather say Problem I have a big God." Bless you for this honest post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully words Debbie and amen... less of me and more Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You describe it so perfectly. It is just like you say, "...she's determined to claim my joy and win over my dreams." I read this earlier and thought of it a little bit later when that Casting Crowns song came on, "Voice of Truth".

    "But the voice of truth tells me a different story
    And the voice of truth says 'Do not be afraid!'
    And the voice of truth says 'This is for My glory'
    Out of all the voices calling out to me
    I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth"
    (From sing365.com)

    Yes, yes, yes, let's praise Him who fuels our courage to fly!!! : )
    (which also reminds me, I saw I bald eagle today! How awesome are they?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie:
    It is true we can't do certain things-without the Lord's help. We serve a wonderful, awesome God who wants to make us completely into His image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such truth gives so much hope!! In Christ we can win any battle! Thank you Kindly!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails