Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's All About the Bright Spots

It’s been a long and trying week. One of high demands, crumpled nerves and patience exhausted. But, I’ve found that the best way to shake the dust off my frustrations is a walk around the garden with my coffee on an early Saturday morning; when the coastal clouds have settled in and the very trusting finches and ring-neck doves flutter in and out to greet me in my special space.

This morning was no exception as the Lord revealed this to me; a single beautiful and fragrant rose among a somewhat sleeping corner of the garden. A bright spot in a barren bed where the coreopsis and asarina vine refuse to bloom (I think they’re still on strike because of the super warm days we had a couple weeks ago). She stands tall there against the fence; a sign that’s she’s recovered well from the rigors of her world. She’s ready to bloom again despite hot summer temps, probably a little neglect and the constant threat of encroaching weed activity.
She caught my eye after a bit of deadheading, and as I stepped through the gate to head back to the kitchen to refill my cup, she stopped me in my tracks. I remembered, once again, how God teaches me so much about life right there in the garden. He reminded me that, even in the busiest of times, when the weight and pressures of the world seem the heaviest on our shoulders, the bright spots are there. They shine brightest in the gloomiest of places. They serve as a beacon to remind us that there’s still “life” going on even when we’re so focused on our own full plate.

I think this life we’re living is about grabbing those bright spots. It’s not about sinking in the mud and staying there. It’s about those moments, unrehearsed and unexpected, captured with both hands and held tight; the ones that steel the breath and grab the heart.
It’s about truly living the life we’re given and praising God for each and every bright spot He shares.
In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. (Luke 10:21)

Live graciously in the light of Him,

Debbie

2 comments:

  1. That rose is a true bright spot in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are a bright spot in the lives of others :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails