Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Need to Simplify

We have birds.
Many birds.
We have chickens that give us wonderful eggs and lots of laughs (they’re fun to watch).

We have diamond doves that coo with a peaceful sound.

We have little spice finches that are so delicate and beautiful.

And we have a grumpy old parrot that yells and sings opera. He’s also a great source of my frustration and gray hair, but he’s been around longer than my children so I guess he’s earned his place in our family (even though I’ve Googled “parrot kabob” recipes many times).

They all live on the patio right outside my window. They’re here next to me as I work at my computer/home office space set up in a perfect little corner of the kitchen.
Yesterday, I noticed that another domestic run-away spice finch had flown and landed on top of our cage and was trying to find his way into the cage with my other finches. He was beautiful and looked just like mine with the same rich color of good coffee (which is why I’ve named mine Mocha and Cappuccino, LOL).
I had to wonder why in the world such a sweet creature
who’d found such freedom would want to return to captivity.

Why would any of us desire such a thing when God offers true, sustaining freedom to us all?
That’s when I took a look around my house and looked within myself and realized all the “stuff” that holds me captive.
All the clutter spots swept to the corners of my life.
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God,
to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God,
which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world,
but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you
may discern what is the will of God, what is good and
 acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1-2)
I’m ready to simplify, to condense and to renew. I have a great inner need to clean up and get rid of all the baggage, all the filth, all the unnecessary debris.
Who knew that watching a tiny bird determined to return to the safety of captivity would prompt such a thing?
But that’s how God works – in the smallest of details.

Be blessed today and EVERYday, friends!
Debbie


5 comments:

  1. Debbie! What an amazing post! Just spoke into my life! I sincerely want to clean up the clutter in my house! Too much! Too long! Thankyou for your inspiration! When you speak of your computer/home office space, I am so intrigued by what this must look like! Would you? Could you? share a picture of your work area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, great inspiring words Debbie!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hearty "Amen" from this reader's corner. I'm grateful that our daughters are learning that the best things in life are not things at a much earlier age than I did. I'm so ready for the wide open spaces - inside! A beautiful post, Debbie. What a gift you have for applying nature to our very hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie! I am coming over from Christine's blog.

    I love your sense of humor! 'Parrot Kabob', I love it! And I am such a sucker for a good cup of coffee (read: Starbucks addiction LOL!)

    We have some things in common. I hope we'll be good blog friends!
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the mood to simplify also lately. Loved picturing you and your birds.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails