Thursday, May 8, 2014

Removing the Weeds of the Day


Today I’m a caged bird needing to spread her wings.
The sun and shifting clouds keep trading places and I watch the clock eager to escape these confining walls toward the big open.
It’s the sweet golden finches & hummingbirds, the trickle of my fountain, my passion and love for creating in the dirt and flowers that calls me out today. It’s breathing in the scent of fresh earth and chickens and drifts of jasmine and coaxing the roses to their full glory…as if they need my help.
It’s how I re-set my soul and where everything makes sense; a visual result of my efforts.
There’s something so healing about the clipping away of what has flourished and spent. Removing the weeds of the day always begins on the knees, don’t you think? It’s the easiest way to pull up the whole root, not just the part you can see because there’s always so much more that lies beneath.
There’s always so much more lying deep within us all.
Yet it’s the dropping to our knees, either there in the dirt or there in the heart…where freedom truly lies. The roots can run long and deep and those rose thorns cut sharp when you least expect, yet I crave being part of the process.
and provide for those who grieve in Zion
to bestow on them a crown  of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor. (Isaiah 61:3)

Yes…removing the weeds of the day always begins on the knees.


2 comments:

  1. ...love that pic! Had to do a double-take. Great post (as usual), too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder! I've also found myself worshipping while doing yardwork... and I love that thought, that removing the weeds from our lives always begins with us on our knees - love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails