Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hold On!


I always seem to be about a season ahead of the calendar. Maybe it’s because I’m always thinking ahead for the magazine; always mentally planning out the next issue (CW Voice).
But really, I’ve always been this way; breaking out the apple and cinnamon candles in late August and decorating for Christmas as soon as I put the Halloween candy away. Maybe that’s why I can still find joy in baking and cooking even when it’s 85 degrees outside and I’ve got windows open and fans spinning. Because in my mind, I can still “feel” fall coming on. I smile at the leaves shedding their green coats and stepping into brighter, more festive attire. As soon as there’s a hint of glorious autumn on the breeze, I welcome it with a gracious heart.

I made pumpkin scones with berry butter a few days ago. They’re wonderful! (I just followed a Taste of Home recipe). I especially love the kneading part of bread and scone making. The dough is soft and pliable in my hands and all the while I’m anticipating the final product; pulling them hot from the oven and adding a dollop of berry butter (made with re-hydrated dried cranberries, butter and a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar). It takes patience and time to work through the process. Every step is necessary. The final, delicious result doesn’t fully satisfy until all the ingredients, all the elements are in place.
Hold on, I tell myself. It’s not done yet – give it a little more time.
I feel like God has spoken these same words directly to my heart quite a lot lately.
Hold on, Deb. This storm won’t last.
Hold on. I’m putting all the elements together but it takes time.
Hold on, child – you’re going to love the finished product!
Oh, my friend, incredible things happen when we hold on to God’s Word through the tough times. When hurt and grief rain down hard and the rough seas threaten to overpower us, God is there with His mighty hand outstretched encouraging us to simply hold on!

“But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;

- 1 Thess. 5:21 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails