Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Grout Lines




I woke up yesterday to a very unpleasant discovery in the living room…right next to the Christmas tree. Seems my yellow lab had been left inside all night and decided that right next to the wrapped presents beneath the tree would be the best place to leave a rather unsightly deposit.
Bless his heart.
Thankfully, we have tile floors which makes clean up much easier than carpet.
Unfortunately, tile comes with grout lines which means that any substance of a “loose” nature hits those lines and immediately heads in all four directions.
This dog-sized surprise covered 2 very large tiles and yes, it was heading down all surrounding grout lines straight for the gifts beneath my Christmas tree!
Quickly, before my coffee and before I’d cleared the morning cob webs from my brain, I put the dog OUTside then grumbled and growled my way through cleaning up the whole mess.
Ick!!
Finally, after 2…no, 3…trips out to the garbage can I settled myself with my much-needed and well-deserved cup of coffee.
But I couldn’t help but see the analogy in the moment.
God showed me that whatever we put out there, whatever we share of ourselves, whether God glorifying or otherwise, SPREADS! What we say and do truly effects others. The words we speak can pour out of our mouths and hit those grout lines in the form of friends, family, social media, etc., and cast an immediate light on our state of heart. Our actions and our words, when shared with the rest of the world or just one on one, says a lot about who we are and to Whom we belong.
In essence, we have the power to either repel or attract.
The choice is ours.

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds  and glorify God  on the day he visits us. (1 Peter 2:11-12) NIV





2 comments:

  1. Great point, Debbie, and you show how to react when we see that happening, even when it's caused by "someone" else. I love the teaching moments in your everyday life :) Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ways God gets our attention and I appreciate you sharing the story Debbie. I am reminded of the verse 'may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable and pleasing in your sight oh Lord." May it be said so of us now and forever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails