I hit the floor running
this morning. The alarm went off a little after 5am and I flew down the stairs.
I’m anxious to put the
lid on this really crummy week.
Pain. Grief. Tears.
Mourning the loss of not just a family member, but my favorite uncle. The one
who loved to laugh and make others laugh, too. The one who lived and loved with
his whole heart. The handsome one who adored his beautiful bride after 50+
years and breathed his last while holding her hand. He was the one who always
took the back roads in bouncy jeeps and trucks and each path led through tall
pines with a lake at the end and there would be fishing and memories made for
tomorrow.
I get a pot of strong
coffee going and head to my box of L'oreal, medium brown. I can’t let people I haven’t
seen in 20-30 years know about all this gray eager to make a statement – one
that says, “Hey! Yeah, the years have been good and I’m blessed an’ all but the
rough patches have been deep and wide and I have all this gray and wrinkles to
prove it.”
The sink is full of
yesterday’s dishes.
The dogs have tracked in
remnants of an untidy back yard and there’s a little something dear daughter
tracked in from the chicken coop now smeared across my floor and it’s all
screaming at me…but the clock.
Time ticks on and I’m 15
minutes away from being a secretary again and answering phones and smiling and
folding papers.
But it’s the day we've been dreading and we have to pack and leave for this sad and final good-by
trip.
Then the phone call –
the one needing a few minutes of my time and signature and needing it today.
And where in the world are
my keys?
And the clock ticks
forward.
And I’m late.
And it all burns inside.
This hurry. This stress.
The pain of this wife without a husband and grown children still needing their
father and I can’t believe he’s really gone. I heard there will be bag pipers
churning out Amazing Grace for the believers and the non and white doves
released as if chasing him toward Heaven.
And the voice on the
phone wants an answer and wants it now…
and my tears come.
It’s too much. I bubble
over in frustration and hand the phone to my husband…
and breathe.
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2
Yet in the middle of the grief, the condolences, the
memories with their fuzzy edges and the tear-stained photos in black and white,
the blessings emerge.
They show themselves in the reuniting of family and
friends. Relationships rediscovered that never really died. There are blessings
as we strengthen, love and encourage one another and whether the believer or
the non...
all glory to God.

Dear Father God: Please wrap Your arms of love around Debbie and her family at this time. Draw them close to You and whisper words of comfort, kindness and love into their ears. I ask this our of your mercy for each of them. To You belongs the glory. In Jesus' Name, I pray. AMEN
ReplyDeleteThose sweet blessings wrapped in the Father's care will carry you through, Debbie. Praying for you and your loved ones. Love...
ReplyDeletePowerful glimpse into your current life dear Debbie. Thank you for trusting us with your tender heart. Praying for you and yours.
ReplyDeleteSusie