Monday, August 3, 2015

Beauty From Ashes

Flower In The Hand

It
 was such a dense and heavy log and it refused to burn. Instead, it only smoldered and smoked in the fireplace until I finally gave up the fight, closed the doors and walked away. I’d so wanted to wake up that cool and misty morning with my coffee and a nice fire, but it wasn’t meant to be.
Later that evening when the chill returned with the setting sun I replaced the stubborn log with some drier pieces I’d found in the wood pile. I very carefully took the log and sat it on the back patio…not the wisest thing I’ve ever done…

That night, it was the chaotic clanging of the wind chime that woke me. The Santa Ana winds were a bit of a surprise as they kicked up but I had no idea what was really happening as the autumn moonlight and swaying tree branches shadow danced across my bedroom walls.

We woke the following morning in complete bewilderment. It looked like a bomb had gone off on our back patio. Ash and burnt wood pieces littered the whole area from the lawn to the back door of the house. Every patio chair cushion and pillow suffered small burn holes and then I noticed the log!

I never knew concrete could burn!

Apparently, the log that refused to burn in my fireplace ignited with the overnight winds and got so hot that it actually weakened the concrete leaving us with two large missing chunks of patio.

My husband…..was not happy.

I was speechless.

But as we surveyed the damage, I quickly realized what COULD have happened if God hadn’t been protecting us. Our entire house could have gone up in flames and we could have lost everything while we slept.

But then yesterday…..


When I looked out the window and saw this, a little bird making great use of my "mishap," I immediately thought of this verse:

“and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.” (Isaiah 61:3)

Only our Lord Jesus can bring about beauty from ashes.

Blessings from our mistakes.

Grace in our weakness.

Only Jesus can bring about new growth from devastation and loss.

Only. Jesus.

Glory to God!






Photo credit

1 comment:

  1. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails