Monday, July 27, 2015

What Do You Really Want?



It’s a struggle each day, really. Finding the socks that match. Sweeping up scattered bird seed and oh, how that dog hair flies. Keeping up with the dishes in the sink and keeping the front of the fridge shiny and free of fingerprints and what’s for dinner? There’s that big yellow dog drinking from the toilet again and every time I look at that wall I’m reminded of the mess I made of it when I tried to fill in nail holes and paint over my mistakes…only to make them more pronounced and annoying. And if I trip over one. more. shoe. left in the middle of the room…! And what’s that funky smell in the garage? Oh, there’s that computer with the cursor blinking, screaming at me to just DO SOMEthing, already! And the calendar with so many dates circled in red.

And there’s that headache and the stomach knotting. The constant treading of water as it threatens higher and higher still. And me looking through this kaleidoscope of life reaching, grasping, jumping from crumbling ledges…
    and Jesus catching me every. single. time.

And I have to ask myself, “what is it that I really want?”

What do you really want?

What’s waking you up at night, stealing your sleep and stealing your thoughts?

Do you want more time?

Peace?

Joy?

Success in business?

Resolution in relationships?

Freedom from financial worry?

Healing and salvation for loved ones?

All the above?

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:33)

When I think of those who have left the biggest, deepest impressions on my life and the memories of them that make me whole and complete, there was nothing but the joy. It didn’t take “things” to create those moments.

It simply involved a freshly-raked pile of autumn leaves and hunting for eggs in the garden in the middle of July and searching for shiny marbles in the dirt and rolling down a green, grassy hill not caring who was watching and the heavenly aromas filling a warm kitchen on a cold day and the laughter above it all and sitting, talking and the witnessing of giving and sharing from the heart.

When I think of what I really want…I want that. To be the one making those memories with others. To leave the impact. To bring the smile. To live simply - simply sharing Jesus.

A generous person will prosper;
whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
(Proverbs 11:25)




5 comments:

  1. And you are making those memories with every mouth watering meal, every new flower bulb, and the way you share them across the miles. And, oh yes...something called Christian Women's Voice. All from a kingdom seeking heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are making those memories with every mouth watering meal, every new flower bulb, and the way you share them across the miles. And, oh yes...something called Christian Women's Voice. All from a kingdom seeking heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever refreshes others will be refreshed, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making memories is important. Parents have special memories of things their children did or said when those children were growing up. Children have memories of certain events in their lives that evoke chuckles from others, when those stories are shared. We have those special times and stories in our family--all families do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails