Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Joy Stealers!

You know you’ve had a rotten day when…..you give in to tears when the pizza delivery guy shows up at the door, and you start explaining all that’s gone wrong with your day and how you deserve a night off of cooking dinner because you had a gas leak in the garage that could have blown your entire house clear to the Pearly Gates, and how you had to drive all over God’s creation on your only day off with no air conditioner and a stereo that doesn’t work, and your daughter dropped the “H” bomb at you in a scathing text message right after your husband came home to grab his bag that you packed in a hurry because he didn’t know if he would make his flight, and even though you remembered his high blood pressure meds, you forgot to include his shorty socks for running in the morning as well as the EXACT shirt he was thinking of packing!.......(deep breath) It's no wonder when you called to order pizza and they offered salads or breadsticks, you answered, “No, thanks – just a large Advil, please!”

Uggh!  Lord, take it all away!

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome
the world." (John 16:33) NIV

So, now that you know how my Monday went, tell me.....who or what is determined to steal your joy today?  Family members?  In-laws?  Finances?  Trouble at work?  Perhaps a personal struggle or addiction...maybe a gas leak and a hormonal 15-year-old?

John 10:10-11 says:  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; 
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  I am the 
good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."  

God's Word proves again and again that through Him we have the authority to look every "joy stealer" straight in the eye and declare them "overcome."  I realize how difficult it is when we're in the middle of the battle, but remember that as a child of God, we've been granted a peace that transcends all understanding; a gift handed down to you and me by the One - the ONLY One who has overcome the world!  Don't let anyone steal your joy today!




4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
(Phil 4:4-9)



3 comments:

  1. Oh my sweet, sweet friend... my baby daughter, who is now approaching 19, certainly gave me a run for my money (and sanity) over the past 5 years or so. We talked, we fought, we cried, we hugged... and just the other day she admitted that she had gone off the deep end and was horrible to us for a long time. She also said that she considers me her best friend. I'm the last one standing firmly by her side. That, is a treasure worth taking a teenage beating for. I look forward to many adult years with my baby girl. Hang in there... buckle up, pray up, keep plenty of tissues on hand. There will be a sweet reward down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I feel your pain with your daughter, since I have a hormonal 16 year old of my own. Not as bad when you're a Dad and it's easy to just not speak (or ask "how was your day?" or "what's happening?) to keep your head from being bitten off, but I feel my wife's anguish. What is it about these creatures that makes them so difficult at this age?

    And to Tami...I only hope that you're right and 19 or so brings sanity and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this one Debbie! But it was for me to read it today! Felt a little disappointment today in a delay I've experienced. God is way too good to me for me to let the joy robbers steal my joy! Thanks for the encouraging word!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails