Monday, August 23, 2010

So, the day started off with an unexpected kick in the teeth when I checked my email and found a rejection from the publisher to which I recently submitted my latest writing efforts.  Though they declined my little fiction story, they graciously referred me to their sister company…a SELF-publisher!  How nice….

I barely swallowed my first gulp of coffee when I read the well thought-out words of gentle let down.  That’s when the tiny hairs on the back of my neck bristled.  So, what part didn’t they like? I wondered.  The title?  The characters?  Writing style, genre, setting?  Perhaps the many sweat beads muddied the words a bit!

In the middle of all this, for some strange reason, I keep thinking of Yosemite.  I know…what?  Where did that come from?  Well, I’ll tell you. 

If you’ve never been there, let me just say that once you’ve witnessed the majestic El Capitan or Half Dome or the view from Glacier Point, you’re pretty much changed forever.  There’s no place like it on the planet.
The really cool thing?  The same God who created all THAT created ME and YOU too, and He didn’t do so expecting us to fail.  He’s God, and he breathed life into us expecting and equipping us to be nothing less than awesome.  He had our full potential in mind as he formed our very last details.  The God of all things magnificent and awe-inspiring would not create a bargain basement you or me. 

Then why do I still feel like the stuff you sweep into the dust pan and toss out with last week’s meatloaf?  Because I have my eyes focused on ME, of course; my disappointment, my hurt and my rejection instead of on HIM; His purpose, His timing, His plan. 

So, a little rejection, a little discouragement, a little bump and bruise is only skin deep.  As a writer, receiving such a response from a publisher cuts straight through to the heart, but it doesn’t pierce through the dream.  The vision and direction still remain, and my faith will always lie with the One who set the mountains in place.

Philippians 3:13-14 
No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, I love how you can share your ups and downs with such thoughtfulness and reflection. It makes reading your posts such a pleasure. Keep up the good work. You are where you are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails