Wednesday, October 6, 2010

When I Grow Up...

When I grow up, I want to own my very own chocolate shop. No, make that a book store with a fireplace and a Starbuck’s AND a chocolate shop – all under one roof! Wouldn’t that be amazing?

Actually, my husband and I happened across a similar place on our way back from vacation years ago before the kids were born. I remember standing with my nose pressed to the glass (because it was closed) dreaming of owning such a wonderful place, such a refuge for fellow book lovers.

It had a welcoming fireplace, overstuffed leather couches and chairs surrounding a chunky, rustic coffee table, and a big beautiful area rug spread over dark wood floors. I’ve dreamed about it ever since, and imagined the opportunity to welcome those who share my passion for the cozy and the quiet; a place where I could create an environment pleasing to all 5 senses for others to enjoy.

I’d pipe in soft, soothing piano and guitar music. The heavenly aroma of coffee and chocolate truffles would mingle with scented candles. Various coffees and teas would warm and comfort the soul, comfy pillows and throws would spill over the furniture and the fireplace would wrap up my guests in the perfect calming ambiance.

Aahhh….

I believe there’s a reason God allows us to remember our dreams, even when they seem impossible to attain. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” That tells me that there’s still so much more the Lord wants for me if I would learn to live with my eyes open to his direction. He is our hope for the future and the One in charge of our dreams. Most of the limitations and barriers that stand in the way of attaining our goals have been created by us. They’re nonexistent to the Lord. He sees beyond all the “what ifs,” and “I can’t do that because…”

He’s God! All things ARE possible through him.

So, what is your big super-sized dream today? Do you believe it’s already yours to have despite the barriers? Have you prayed about it?

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and

unsearchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV)

With the Lord on your side, you’ve been given the license to fast forward over all the common roadblocks like lack of confidence, lack of finances in an uncertain economy, and fear of failure. Our God is SO much bigger than all that!

God isn’t focused on your stumbling blocks, so why should you be?

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish." (Hebrews 12:1-3) NLT.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    What a word of encouragement this is. As your classmate, you probably know the challenges I'm dealing with, but I look forward to having a page worthy of sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. I'll use this comment to also say how much I enjoyed reading your other (recent) posts. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed" -Proverbs 16:3

    Your post spoke to me on a different level today. My wife is due with our first child in February. When we found out she was pregnant I was enrolled in school to pursue a doctorate in Philosophy but I knew I needed to withdrawal to seek a job to support our family.

    We prayed through what God would have us do and, much to our surprise, we wanted us to join a ministry as missionaries. Our first response was, "really?! how is that going to support us?" so we prayed more, hoping God would change his mind. He didn't.

    We joined the ministry and just started our support raising journey. I was quite discouraged for a little while until I realized this simple truth (which is similar to this post): God is GOD! So if he wants us there HE will provide. After all he provides for the birds.... :)

    You can read about the process through which God led us to this ministry byreading this post

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails