Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Take Care of Yourself


Sometimes it takes an illness to knock you off your feet and force you into your fuzzy slippers and a blanket.
Your energy’s gone.
You feel like (and look like) some lifeless creature your cat proudly displays on the back porch.
When your engine sputters to a stop, it’s trying to tell you something.
Stop and rest.
Hand the reins over to someone else for a bit. I know; it’s hard to imagine that the world will continue to spin while you take the necessary time to return to your old self.
But, it’s okay to take a break from the game.
I have to believe that God is the creator and designer of rest – what a wonderful gift, especially when you surrender yourself to the fact that you are officially out of commission for awhile. But how long?
As long as it takes.
Usually, it’s your body that wins the coin toss when your mind is still determined to go at life full speed ahead.
So, listen to your body. It’s fighting a battle against the enemy over your good health.
Give yourself permission to heal and gain strength by receiving the rest God offers.
There’s only one you.
So, take care of yourself.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) NIV

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, I think the cultures that practice a regular siesta are far more wise than the rest of us. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails