Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Renovation


We bought our first and current home nearly 16 years ago, back when the kids were two and brand new.

The vacant 2-story stood tall and depressing much like an old work boot tossed aside and forgotten. Completely void of character, the blank exterior offered very little in the way of curb appeal. In fact, the only appealing aspect was the opportunity to escape our cramped rental home and spread our wings a bit in 1,600 square feet of “potential,” as the realtor called it.

The house was quite the disaster inside and out. The poor thing seemed too tired to even whimper a distress call, but the need was clear. Regardless, we’d become proud home owners of the tall, lanky eye-soar/fixer-upper that nobody wanted. Yes, it was a mess, but it was OUR mess.

We tried our hand at home improvement in sporadic bursts over the years; random attempts made between diaper changes and nap time as well as a husband working his way up the career ladder.

The major work happened about 5 years ago; a massive overhaul that took six months to complete. Once the dust cleared and they hauled away the oh-so-attractive Port-O-Potty from my front yard, we ended up with a whole new everything downstairs and a prettied-up exterior.

Aahhh…..finally!

The quiet relief of our finished project sort of dulled the sting of many tears and fears spent getting from point A to DONE! We set out with a goal in mind; a finished, updated home with more wiggle room for a family of four, a couple dogs and the various winged creatures that occasionally take flight from one room to the next scouring the terrain below for easy prey.

If we’d purchased a home in move-in condition, there wouldn’t be any need for improvement, nor would we have the opportunity to make it ours by infusing our own personal stamp.

I see myself in that rough-around-the-edges "before" picture, a renovation greatly in need of God’s special touch. I’m His, flawed and imperfect, needing a little sprucing up inside and out. The potential may be there, but there’s so much yet to be done.

My paint is chipped. Not everything is in working order. Though my foundation may be intact, my floors sometimes creak and weaken beneath a heavy load. The wind howls and I may bend, but through my walk with the Lord over the years, my life has become strengthened, supported by the sturdy walls of God’s Word. Each day, the light of the Lord shines in through streaked windows sometimes casting light on a mess or two. But it’s His grace that reveals the areas still needing attention, and it’s His grace which strengthens me to fix them.

I too, am that awkward fixer-upper standing stark and plain; a blank canvas ready for the work of the Master Carpenter.


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation

has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here!

(2 Corinthians 5:17)

3 comments:

  1. Love this article! So true and so appropriate in my life right now, and yet the bigger point is that we are always that fixer-upper and we should always open our hearts to Him, His love, and the wonders He does in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your website. I really love your post too! What a great analogy. We are all a wreck at some point and we need the carpenter to come spruce things up a bit. We may look like we have it altogether on the outside when we are really falling apart on the inside. I bet your house looks great! Thanks for leaving a comment on my post yesterday! It encouraged me more than you know! Thank u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! My wife & I bought a fixer-upper 4 years ago and we are definitely still in the fixing stage. I love your perspective on the whole process, and I will keep this in mind on the days that I feel less-than-thrilled with our work in progress.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails