Saturday, December 11, 2010

Peace, Joy and Hope


It was a simple, rustic plaque; a picture of me with my horse, Wendy, set inside a horseshoe cutout and the bending, curling of rope to fashion her name above it. I opened it and the tears spilled overcome by the love of a daddy wanting to give what he could for his daughter at Christmas.

Nothing shiny with sale tags dangling or gleaned from a department store shelf surrounded by mobs of holiday shoppers; one hardly acceptable by the world’s standards. But instead, a gift constructed from the calloused hands of a dad spending a late night out in his workshop in a worn flannel shirt bent over the swirling steam of his coffee cup. I imagined him sanding the wood. The tapping of the hammer, working love into every last detail and how he meticulously chose and cut out just the right picture and fit it in place, then with his own hands wrapped it up to rest alone beneath the tree.

I didn’t know about Hope back then…but Hope knew all about me. And He knows you too - even now; even when the peace and joy of Christmas seems overshadowed by the demands of it. The pressure builds on our shoulders when we think we have to follow society’s standards of what we should be doing simply because we’re only a twinkle away from that magical day.

My prayer is that you won’t let the reality of a harsh situation demand your peace, joy and hope this season. Your father has already given you the gift of His Son, and in that you already possess such things.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) NIV

If peace hasn't found you this season, then create it by surrounding yourself with joyful people. Have faith and know that God is aware of your situation, and that He’s already working love into every last detail, meticulously constructing each element of His plan.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope.” (Romans 5:1-4) NIV

5 comments:

  1. "I didn’t know about Hope back then…but Hope knew all about me." Indeed... I love that about God, He knows just what we need. I had tears in my eyes in your first paragraph :) and the picture you painted of your dad creating that gift for you is beautiful! Praying for His peace to embrace us in this busy season!
    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the reality of a harsh situation demands your peace." I really love that. All too often depressing situations steal my spiritual joy and take off with any hope I had. Hope is powerful and can only be possessed by the believer this day and age. Thats why I named my middle child Samantha Hope! ;) great reading as always girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I hopped over here after seeing your post on my blog! LOVE your blog. I'll be returning frequently for inspiration. It's so nice to read a well written Christian blog! Many blessings to you, friend!
    Annie Grey
    http://greyhairedmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you introduced your post by telling about the handmade gift from your dad is really touching. I always miss my daddy the most (gone 7 years now...)at Christmas. He loved it so. He was like a kid. ```Jackie~~~(louisiana bayou lady)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so beautiful here Debbie, you are truly inspiring. I too love that line, " I didn’t know about Hope back then…but Hope knew all about me." I will be back and soon. God Bless you my blogging friend in Christ.
    Alexis ( Laundry Queen)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails