Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Giving Your Best


I sat there in the RV sipping hot cocoa while the rest of my family braved the wind and rain to stare at a beach piled high with seals of massive proportions. I’d joined them for a short time, but failed to share their enthusiasm over watching large blobs doing a lot of…well, nothing in the pouring rain and a freezing wind that quickly cut right through my patience.

Swift gales shook and rattled hatches and windows while I enjoyed sitting bundled against the weather marveling at the pounding surf and flocks of birds bold enough to skim low over churning waters and race against the tide.

Despite the fierce and thundering waves, the gulls seemed to have it all figured out, choosing to soar with the wind instead of race against it. Soon a flock of pelicans joined them for a truly impressive performance skimming in a wide “V” formation low and slow for their meal not put off in the least by unfriendly elements.

That’s so cool, I thought. Why can’t I learn to do that; just skim over the top of the turmoil, go with the ebb and flow of life…to float effortlessly on the breath of God?

That’s when a whisper broke through the thrashing about outside my window and said, “You…aren’t…supposed…to.”

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

(John 16:33) NIV

God didn’t design us to float above the challenges. We’re to ride out our faith, live it as He’s equipped us to do, however bumpy a ride it may be. We may pray and ask and believe, only to land in disappointment. We beat ourselves up when we feel we’ve failed the many tests of life, and it stings while others around us seem to achieve and rise above with minimal effort.

But, God wants YOUR best – not someone else’s best.

He wants you to use the abilities within, not the ones you wish you had. He’s equipped you to float on the breath of God. He’s already given you everything you need to carry out His plan. He wants to hear your voice, watch you succeed, share in your joy. Your abilities aren’t measured on someone else’s scale. Your style, character, strengths and dreams have all been fitted to you; custom made by the Lord himself. Only with Him will you soar above the swift and churning waters.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised one bit, but you have SO encouraged my weary soul today. I want to... "float effortlessly on the breath of God." Beautifully said my friend. I've been beating myself up and fretting and I know it's not what He has for me. Thank you Debbie for being His voice to me so very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about this today. We shouldn't envy the gifts or talents that God has given someone else. He has gifts just for us that we should use. I love that we are custom made for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this-"float effortlessly on the breath of God." I think that when we come to rest in Him that He will carry us on His breath if we just let Him.
    I agree also that we shouldn't envy other's gifts. I sometimes find myself wishing I had something that someone else does and find myself lacking in so many ways. But He has equipped me with the gifts He wants me to have. I just need to find them and then LIVE them out to the fullest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a giggle in that last thought-- the idea of riding out the storm. I thought, even if it makes us throw up, we still have to just sit in the boat and go with the up's and down's, seasickness and all. To which, I roll my eyes and say, "gee thanks, God. How's about getting me a better boat next time- or at least some of those patches." harumph. By the way, God laughed at that- I'm pretty sure.

    Alas, being in the boat is still better than drowning and I'm grateful I have a boat at all.

    :) good post. I'd have been in the car, too, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Debbie! Thank you for the reminder to use the gifts we've been given and not to long for those we don't have. I love the imagery in this post. I could feel it and see it all. Thank you friend for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie..I love your blog so much, it is so uplifting so beautiful..God is using you for his Glory. Floating on the breath of the Lord how wonderful...

    Thank you for your encouraging words on my blog yesterday..it means more then you know..

    sherry

    thank you for having my button on your blo

    ReplyDelete
  7. "He wants you to use the abilities within, not the ones you wish you had. He’s equipped you to float on the breath of God." I love this. He has equipped us with all we need "according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Like material things, we always think we need more to be pleasing to God and to please ourselves. But we don't. We are fearfully and wonderfully made...God gives us the things we need when we need them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails