Monday, January 17, 2011

Stepping Stones


I held her frail hands in mine; my reward after a 4–hour drive. The same hands that embraced and nourished and loved me from the start now clench blankets and every precious moment.

We gathered, not for tears or to share our fear about this life about to take flight, but to support and comfort her and one other. In the noise and conversation we find strength in our numbers that somehow smoothes over the unknown until the quiet seeps back in.

Family. Those who share my blood and my past talk and recall and we laugh through tears over coffee and hugs.

We talked about the stepping stones well into the night; the memories, those times well hidden and tucked away behind the years reaching, waiting to grab you by the heart to be re-lived and enjoyed.

These are the stepping stones; brief moments in life captured in the midst of time that strengthen you to move forward to the next season and the next and the next. How precious are the memories that bind people by the heart.

Thank you, Lord for the stepping stones.

"Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes

in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes

in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

(John 11:25-26) NIV


6 comments:

  1. Loved the post today--thanks for sharing about stepping stones. Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once hear a pastor say turn your stepping stones into victory! and how very true it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the stepping stones...they can be like big 'ol rock walls sometimes...but they are good! If we let them be...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "those times well hidden and tucked away behind the years reaching, waiting to grab you by the heart to be re-lived and enjoyed." This is absolutely beautiful! What an awesome time with your mom...sharing memories. As always, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing, and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: www.nocondemnation81.blogspot.com

    Have a blessed day!

    In Christ,
    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this... "These are the stepping stones; brief moments in life captured in the midst of time that strengthen you to move forward to the next season and the next and the next." Isn't God so wonderful... the way He places those stepping stones right under our feet moving us along. Blessings Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails