Monday, January 10, 2011

Welcome to My Garden


She’s the only one who waits her turn. She makes no demands. She shows patience and grace as she stands in disarray with her head hanging low and arms weak at her sides. Yet, with merely a glance, she rewards me with her bounty, her beauty and fulfillment at the end of the day. She gives and never takes. She’s my sacred little space beyond the gate set aside to create, to change, to grow and to dream. But, most of all, to feel His presence.

“And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.”
(
Genesis 1:11) NIV

It’s where blessings flow; where a childhood of garden memories hover and mingle with the flutter of wild finches and visiting ring-neck doves. They, too sense the life taking place, drawn by the flow of the fountain. It’s in the birth of dreams and the joy of creating a space that both satisfies and glorifies.

I’ve kneeled there. I’ve found healing in the soil, a stirring that calms and breathes life back into the spirit.

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.”

(Matthew 6:28-29) NIV

Join me this season as I set out to restore my long-time friend, the garden. And in doing so, it never ceases to amaze me the life lessons revealed in the process. I believe that’s how God designed it; working the earth, creating, nurturing life along until it gives back to others and teaches.

I believe we all have our “thing,” that one something we know and rely on that wakes us up on the inside and breathes life back into our souls.

What’s yours?

7 comments:

  1. Another beautifully written post Debbie. I guess writing would be that for me, however... I don't think so, writing the blog sometimes is pressure, isn't it? I have to think about this one. Besides God, that "thing," whatever it is gets really lost in my crazy life. I need to find the place where there is "healing in the soil" and "a stirring that breathes life back into the spirit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I'm like Heidi - I'm not sure what that thing is. It may be reading God's Word. It always speaks to me. I want to think about this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your blog...so inspiring...you visited my blog the other day. It was in regards to a video I am doing on the word "Beautiful"...I am posting it tomorrow and would love for you to come a see it....I used you in...thank you for you words.

    sherry

    http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Lesson we learn when we sit at the Feet of Christ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice nasturium patch Debbie. I don't think you need to restore that part of it. But it never hurts, as you say, to interact with the soil and find healing there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad someone has a green thumb! I tend to kill every plant and/or flower I have ever had! Ugh. Great post...beautiful words! It really blessed me today sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written post, Debbie.

    I believe what wakes up my soul, and makes my spirit soar is knowing God is using me. I love to encourage women; whether it be through our church's Women's Ministry, Women's Retreat, prayer, forums, blog posts, etc., etc.

    Debbie, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment....as I don't have many visitors or comments, it is quite the TREAT!

    I, too, am writing a book ~ or should I say working on writing a book....haven't "hit a lick" since before Thanksgiving, I do believe. Each day "gets gone," and I think, 'tomorrow.'
    Alas, tomorrow comes and goes. But, God is going to help me to figure it all out.

    Happy writing!

    Blessings to you and yours in 2011,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails