Friday, January 21, 2011

A Personal Ministry

Woman standing in flowering bushphoto © 2008 George Eastman House | more info (via: Wylio)
Hello, sweet sister in Christ. I wanted to take just a moment to thank each one of you for always managing to add a visit to my blog somewhere in your full day. It means more to me than you know.

Many times, your comments bring tears. They somehow reach through the miles, the noise and the distractions to offer that precious moment of God’s touch on my heart. It’s He, the Lord, working through you who brings me to that awe-filled moment when I realize He really does care. He really does see all that’s going on with us. He really does listen to our prayers and sees each tear that falls, because He uses us, each other, whether connected physically or through the blogging world, to offer His love and support.

I'm sure, if I look hard enough, I'd find a passage in the Bible somewhere about bloggers; the pure-hearted Christian women who may not have this whole adult-wife-mom thing all figured out, but who live out Proverbs 31 each in their own unique ways. There has to be scripture for people like you; you who have been called to reach others with your words.

I kind of feel I was officially “called” to write for the Lord several years ago. I remember the day it happened: I’d just dropped my daughter off at school and started heading home. As I did every other day before it, I prayed for the day ahead over the top of my travel cup all the way back. But this one particular day was different. Instead of the basic, “Thank you, Lord for this day. Bless my husband, my kids, be in all I do and say, yadda, yadda, yadda….” I began praying from a much deeper place. Something stirred and I actually dug beneath the turmoil I’d glossed over for so long. The Lord knew how I’d been struggling, wanting to do more. Wanting to be more. For Him and for myself.

Insert light-bulb moment here. That’s when I heard the words, “Write…for…me.” It was almost audible, and from that moment on, I took my (book) writing more seriously, but decided blogging would help get me used to stringing words together by posting on a regular basis.

Some people say it’s a ministry. I feel it is, too. But, when you think about it, we each have a ministry, whether blogging or not; especially when we believe in something that is God-breathed within us and we’re passionate enough about it to profess it with our words. I would love to hear about YOUR ministry to others; when you first decided to be a voice for the Lord and to share with others.


I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”

(John 14:12) NIV

Again, I want to thank you for the smiles and the tears, for the inspiration and the encouragement to follow my heart.

And….since I’m all about seeking out the quiet in our lives, finding and savoring that one little something that brings focus and soothes the mind for just a moment or so, that’s what I wish for you today and as you head into your weekend. I’m going to spend mine out in the garden taking advantage of our beautiful California weather. But whatever your climate, whatever your day brings, may you enjoy it to the fullest. I hope you’ll afford yourself a free moment to stop and sigh, to truly savor something beautiful and to do something special for yourself. And may your words and thoughts be God breathed.

Window and Flowersphoto © 2007 Sukanto Debnath | more info (via: Wylio)

11 comments:

  1. It's not a big thing, but about a year and a half ago I started texting inspirational messages and bible verses to the girls in our high school youth group at church. Just something to try and get them to think about God each day and encourage them. Some of the moms wanted to receive them too and now the list has grown to include relatives, friends, friends of friends, etc. It's awesome to see God at work with something as simple as a text message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Debbie! I love this post! I agree God uses our writing to bless and encourage each other in a way that could only be from Him! Before I was a Christian I knew I had a heart to write, but was so insecure that I didn't know what to do with it and I had no foundation, no purpose, nothing that I believed in. So, I wrote poetry... dark poetry about personal pain because that's what I knew best. It was always sort of mystical and "spiritual" (not the right spiritual). After my eyes were opened I knew instantly that if I were to ever write another word ever it would only be to glorify God. It was 9 years later that Kelli and started our blog. I wanted to start a blog earlier, but again was so insecure about putting myself out there. When Kelli and I started our ministry, that's when God said "do it together" and that empowered me to be bold and have courage. I am so grateful for Kelli because I know that God gifted her to me as a best friend and as a source of courage and strength that unleashed my heart to write! Have a blessed weekend my friend; enjoy Him in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, you so beautifully said what I have been feeling about each you and the others who read my blog. :) I believe we all have something to say to encourage one another. God has blessed me with you too, sweet Debbie! Enjoy your weekend. You'll be in the garden, while I'll be inside enjoy yet more snow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    you are such a beautiful christian woman and these words were amazing today!

    thank you for leaving your sweet comment today on my blog, I truly appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your inspiration and encouragement is far reaching. Thank you for your comment on my blog, know that your words are a balm. Even if they're meant to be funny, they always seem to uplift me. Thank you! Many, many blessings! Love wins...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, you're such a precious gift! I have so enjoyed getting to know you through our blogs and I hope that someday we too shall meet. You too leave sweet comments that bless my heart, all the time! I can't tell you how many times they've choked me up and made me smile. You're a dear sister in Christ and I appreciate your heart for the Lord and others so immensely.

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Iam a new follower, and a fellow blogger. This was great. I received a call to preach when I was 8. I have always wanted to be either a writer, an actress, or after being called a preacher. But honestly I have never believed in pushing your calling or ministry cuz your call will always make room for you. Frankly Iam just available to God to use me in whatever way He see's fit in that moment. Thanks for the blog, and Iam looking forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. She died many many years ago. Iam so much better now. I will have at least one or maybe two follows up blogs to the one you read. So you'll hear the rest of the story. I also expect to have a message in there somewhere as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so sweet, Debbie. Wish we could share a cup of tea while I tell you how I became a writer. It's an amazing (dare I say miraculous?) story. Here's a link, since it's kind of long for a blog comment. MY STORY.

    Thanks for letting me share it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again I'm blessed by your words that our blogs are our personal ministry to others. As a new blogger, I am encouraged by your post to take what is in my head and heart and put it in pen. I purchased a new cup last night and a big bag of french roast coffee beans. How nice to sip my cup of freshly brewed coffee and be at your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to find such a peaceful landing place once again, Debbie. I haven't been here in a long time. I know I'm welcome no matter how long I've been away.

    I see that this posting was done quite awhile ago, but as you can see, your postings are timeless. They reach people even when you are on to your next postings.

    Keep your light shining, girl!

    Donna Perugini

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails